System / Situation:
Just bought a new Asus EEE PC 1015PX Notebook w/ Win7 Starter OS factory pre-installed.
- Install U10.04.3 LTS i386 Desktop
- Completely eliminate the Win7 Starter OS in the process
Tools in my inventory:
- CD burned with U10.04.3 LTS Desktop i386 (presumably bootable as-is)
- USB created with Pendrive / U10.04.3 LTS Desktop i386 (presumably bootable as-is)
- The CD and USB above were both created using a Win7 / IBM Desktop system
Why I assume that 10.04.3 is a good choice:
- It's the most recent LTS version - probably the best for my techno-putz skill-level (?)
- My User-IQ rating: Clumsy Beginner - *basic* experience with Ubuntu 8 and 9 on Eee PC including *basic* terminal / command line
- Tons of conflicting info available about which Ubuntu version to use on the 1015PX
- Tons of conflicting and piecemeal info available about the installation process/choices, and post-installation tweaks for the 1015PX
- Is U10.04.3 Desktop i386 (natively / out of the box) the best version of Ubuntu for the 1015PX?
- Are there certain specific option-choices in the install / set-up process which are optima, unique or even mandatory for the 1015PX?
- Are there specific post-installation tweaks that best suit the 1015PX?
- Is there anything specific I need to know or do during the install given that Win7 Starter is already pre-intalled on the 1015PX?
- Are clear keystroke-specific answers to these types of questions *always* archived at a specific website/URL that I should be using?
I'd like to get the install and tweaks right the first time around, so I would appreciate keystroke-specific instructions wherever possible (or referrals to them elsewhere).
Thank you very much for any help you can offer. I'll answer any follow-up questions as best I can.
FWIW: I'll post a keystroke-specific, start-to-finish guide (install and tweak U v.? on the 1015PX) once I get through this, subject to editing by your board-masters as they see fit - if there's any value in that.
I'm including a dump of the 1015PX system-specs below in case they need to be taken into account.
System Specs Dump:
(generated with Belarc System Advisor freeware)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. 1015PX
(I haven't yet found any model "suffix", e.g. "-MU17-WT", "-MU17-BK", etc.)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. 1015PE
Bus Clock: 167 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1401 08/30/2011
CPU: 1.67 gigahertz Intel Atom N570
56 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)
233.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
221.71 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
1016 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB (serial number SerNum00)
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
(DDR3, 1 x SO-DIMM, 1GB / Maximum 2GB)
Local Drive Volumes:
c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 107.37GB / 95.25 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 126.56 GB / 126.46 GB free
Operating System is installed on c:
Intel(R) NM10 Express Chipset
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 [Display adapter] (2x)
(10.1" LED Backlight WSVGA (1024x600) Screen)
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
1 x VGA Connector
3 x USB 2.0
1 x LAN RJ-45
1 x Audio Jack (Headphone/Mic-In)
1 x Card Reader : SD/ SDHC/ MMC
Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (2 of them)
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150
Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6150 (<- I'm tempted to ask whether I should disable this thing since I opted not to subscribe)
Wireless Data Network:
WLAN 802.11 email@example.comGHz
Also has numerous Asus Live Update & related built-in apps (standard for Asus machines)
- End of System Specs Dump -