Thread: Hauppauge 1600 Remote: Mythbuntu not recognizing some buttons

Hybrid View

Beans

Hauppauge 1600 Remote: Mythbuntu not recognizing some buttons

Using a fresh 11.10 Mythbuntu installation on newly bought hardware. Have Hauppauge 1600 installed and am able to watch live TV, which, after many painful hours of configuring and searching Internet, I am WAY more impressed with than my wife is.

After further research I did manage to get the remote to be recognized. Many buttons seem to work. Here is the configuration I ultimately ended up using in my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf as suggested in a few places:

Code:
    # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
    #
    #Chosen Remote Control
    REMOTE="Hauppauge TV card"
    REMOTE_MODULES="ir_kbd_i2c lirc_dev lirc_i2c"
    REMOTE_DRIVER="dev/input"
    REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/event5"
    REMOTE_SOCKET=""
    REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge"
    REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
    The arrow keys work fine. I could configure in the frontend GUI the buttons for +/- channels, play, ffwd, etc.

The big problem is that the "OK" button seems completely unrecognized in Mythbuntu. For example, when mapping/configuring keys using the frontend GUI, most keys on the remote are accepted as options, but when I press "OK" as the button of choice nothing happens. When moving around the menus in the frontend, OK does nothing.

I can see that "OK" is sending a signal by doing:

$ sudo cat /dev/input/event5

and pressing some buttons. When I press "OK" (or any other remote button) gibberish hits the screen while doing that cat.

I've already read other suggestions in other posts about just buying a different remote that is better supported, but I've come this far, I'd love to get this thing working properly.

I feel overmatched by the irrecord, irw and associated commands, but am willing to try things. I'm hoping the fix is something like a couple edits in a key-mapping file and a re-boot, but I'm used to having my Linux hopes dashed.

Any help appreciated and I'm happy to provide further details as needed.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Hauppauge 1600 Remote: Mythbuntu not recognizing some buttons

Couldn't wait anymore. Bought an MCE remote and it worked out of the box.

I guess the mystery of the non-functioning buttons will go unsolved for me.

Beans

Still unsolved -

I am having the exact same problem, running Ubuntu 11.10 as well. Only buttons that work our volume and arrow keys. I spent so much time getting all this stuff set up, it is really disappointing. I am giving up as well.

Are you still using the 1600 IR? Or a USB one?
    What remote did you get? Will any MCE remote work?
    Last edited by SirKingChase; December 24th, 2011 at 03:05 AM.

Beans

I agree that it is really disappointing.

I honestly don't think the MCE remote I got had a brand name. It was the only MCE Remote at the computer shop I went to, so I just bought it and hoped for the best. It worked for me. It says "Certified for Windows Vista" on the user manual, if that helps at all.

It has a USB receiver that works quite well. I haven't tried to use it to control any other devices yet, so I can't speak to that.

I can tell you that the one I bought is NOT pictured here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote

but it obviously looks quite similar.

Good luck.

I'm still struggling with getting the TV out to work when I don't have a computer monitor also connected. Ugh.

Beans

I finally got this fixed for my HVR-1600 card. Seems lirc sees it as a HVR-1100 and the irw codes do seem to match the HVR-1100, except for one. And this is why the OK button didn't work.

In:
    /usr/share/lirc/extras/more_remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge

It is listed as:
    Ok 0x001C

Which is wrong. The code should be:
    Ok 0x0160

Edit and save it. Bounce your lirc (/etc/init.d/lirc restart) and you should have your OK button back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flatspin View Post
    I finally got this fixed for my HVR-1600 card. Seems lirc sees it as a HVR-1100 and the irw codes do seem to match the HVR-1100, except for one. And this is why the OK button didn't work.

In:
    /usr/share/lirc/extras/more_remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge

It is listed as:
    Ok 0x001C

Which is wrong. The code should be:
    Ok 0x0160

Edit and save it. Bounce your lirc (/etc/init.d/lirc restart) and you should have your OK button back.
    Please, please, please make a note of this in the Wiki for this card!