Thread: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

Hybrid View

Beans

Question ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

I downloaded two instances of ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso (32-bit) from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download. Both .iso files failed to burn to cd. Three coasters. I thought maybe my DVD writer was fried but when I tried to mount the .iso in software, I get a warning that there are 'no mountable file systems'.

Anyone else have this problem or know what the matter is?

I just want to create the CD on this Mac, the install is for an old Gateway with a poisoned boot disk.

Beans

Re: ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso has 'no mountable file systems'?

Has anyone successfully done it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm having the same issue as well.

I installed the dev preview of Windows 8 and am looking to have an external HD install of Ubuntu for the purpose of a virtual XP and the ability to test legacy iterations of IE. Dual boot isn't an option as I don't have the time to do the heavy lifting to try and make it work. Doesn't really make sense since the .iso is either corrupt or some part of the XML is truncated.

As far as the .iso for Ubuntu is concerned, I've tried all 32-bit download methods and get this error when I try to mount the image on OSx and burn it to DVD.

We can't be the only ones experiencing this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I should add that OSx is unable to verify the image and throws an error stating that the .iso does not contain a recognizable filesystem.

This doesn't really make a ton of sense since it's worked brilliantly in the past.

Beans

I am having the same issue. When I attempt to convert it to an img (per ubuntu instructions) using the hdiutil command, it states that it is NTFS for some reason.

For example:

sh-3.2# hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o /ubuntu.img /Users/username/Downloads/oneiric-desktop-amd64.iso
    Reading Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)…
    Reading Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 (Apple_ISO : 1)…
    Reading (Windows_NTFS_Hidden : 2)…

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I figured out yesterday that it's possible to burn an .iso from Windows and Linux. This seems to be an issue specific to Mac.

I'm on Snow Leopard and have yet to make the leap over to Lion due to Lion's continued bugginess...