Thread: Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

Hybrid View

Beans

Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

Hey All,

I've got an ASUS 1015PN that I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 from 11.04. On the latter version, I had three finger tap support for my touchpad, which I'd mapped to a middle mouse click. However, once I upgraded, this capability no longer works.

I've done a fair bit of web (and soul ) searching, all to no avail. Now you might ask yourself why I care so much. Well, until this capability was taken away, I've forgotten how much I use all of the taps for the various mouse clicks.

Finally, fwiw, I've looked in all of the usual suspect places: /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log with everything seeming normal, and running the command synclient, which reports that a tapbutton3 should report a middle mouse click. I've also checked this with utilities like evtest and xev to see that, no matter what I do, I only get 'Button1' X events when I do a three finger tap.

I'm now at my wits end, and I simply cannot believe that I'm the only person worldwide that's experiencing this behavior.

Can anyone out there in Ubuntu-land offer any suggestions?

Many, many thanks in advance,
    john

Beans

Re: Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

I don't have a solution for you, just adding my voice to say I've got this problem too. Hope someone figures out a solution to it soon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, sorry, no solution from me either, but it has happened to me too. I read somewhere there has been some heated debate about this thing, so I hope it's only a bug and no one has taken the functionality away. I use this a lot, and want it back

Beans

Hi. I have laptop asus k50ab and three-finger tap doesn't work for me too. In 11.04 all was OK.

Beans

same here.

visually:
    1-finger tap does what it should
    2-finger tap as well
    3-finger tap does nothing (see also xev below)
    3-finger drag drags the window (though compiz is programmed for <alt>button2)
    4-finger tap gives the 'dash' of Unity.

xev:
    doing 'xev' in a terminal and moving the mouse in the small window that pops up, I see that one-finger works and is recognised and two-finger as well. Three-finger is not recognized (no response what-so-ever).

I also noticed that combining the the 'real button' (beneath the touchpad surface) with two finger tap on the touchpad surface DOES do the paste!!!!
    Very uncomfortable, but at least something.
    Last edited by indium; October 18th, 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Beans

I think, 3 tap unable..

but you can setting your mousepad at system setting..