Thread: Mighty Thor hath smitten Mythtv

Hybrid View

Beans

Mighty Thor hath smitten Mythtv

Just a heads up for those who like to watch DVDs in their Mythtv HTPCs hooked to their wide-screen TVs. Paramount appears to have begun using a new copy protection scheme with the release of the new Thor DVD that seems to render the DVD essentially unplayable in Linux.

In addition to the 99 bogus titles technique used by Disney/Sony for years, the new Paramount DVDs appear to interact with libdvdnav and/or libdvdcss so that Xine or mplayer believe the disc to be corrupt, and vlc will simply segfault. The Linux versions of Handbrake and HandbrakeCLI will also segfault on these discs.

The current Windows version of VLC also apparently crashes on these discs, though oddly enough not the Windows version of HandBrake. If one uses a DVD translation-layer utility like AnyDVD (which has been freshly patched in the last week or so specifically with Thor in mind) one can then successfully access the correct title on the disc with normal Windows players, or with other software like the Windows version of HandBrake.

But these DVDs appear to be completely unplayable directly in Linux/Mythtv, unless one hooks a standalone DVD player into a TV tuner feed (or directly to their tv screen).

The only lengthy discussion of these Paramount discs I'm aware of is on the Windows forum pertaining to AnyDVD here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=49481

Beans

Re: Mighty Thor hath smitten Mythtv

have you tried makemkv?

Beans

Haven't tried it yet. I'll compile and give it a go at the next convenient opportunity. I'm not too terribly hopeful about the Linux version, whose version numbering would appear to indicate that it's some two years old. And if the Linux version relies on libdvdnav and libdvdcss2, then it would be expected to experience difficulties similar to the other applications mentioned.

On the other hand, the makemkv forum reports some success with the Paramount Blu-ray of Thor, but posters by-and-large do not indicate which OS and app version is in use. I would expect that it's the Windows version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klc5555 View Post
    Haven't tried it yet. I'll compile and give it a go at the next convenient opportunity. I'm not too terribly hopeful about the Linux version, whose version numbering would appear to indicate that it's some two years old. And if the Linux version relies on libdvdnav and libdvdcss2, then it would be expected to experience difficulties similar to the other applications mentioned.

On the other hand, the makemkv forum reports some success with the Paramount Blu-ray of Thor, but posters by-and-large do not indicate which OS and app version is in use. I would expect that it's the Windows version.
    the version numbering of the current linux version is the same version as for the current windows version - 1.6.14.

As far as I can tell makemkvcon (which does the work) does not depend on libdvdnav or libdvdcss2.:

Code:
    nick@nick-VirtualBox:~$ ldd /usr/bin/makemkvcon 
    	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00322000)
    	libmakemkv.so.1 => /usr/lib/libmakemkv.so.1 (0x00400000)
    	libdriveio.so.0 => /usr/lib/libdriveio.so.0 (0x00e85000)
    	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00a65000)
    	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00cc2000)
    	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00738000)
    	librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x0070c000)
    	libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (0x00110000)
    	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x00b6f000)
    	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x002d3000)
    	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00c92000)
    	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x0038d000)
    	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x004ac000)
    It just appears to rely on standard linux libraries, except for libmakemkv.so.1. But libmakemkv just seems to rely on standard libraries.

Code:
    nick@nick-VirtualBox:~$ ldd /usr/lib/libmakemkv.so.1
    	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00cca000)
    	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00e80000)
    	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00764000)
    	libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (0x00176000)
    	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x0086f000)
    	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00ce6000)
    	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00a05000)
    	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x002c5000)
    	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x002eb000)
    So your pessimism may be misplaced

PS I hate those little silver disks. Teenagers leave them on the floor, the dog sits on them and the cat plays with them. Even if they are in the cover, it can never be found. Rip them to hard drive and put the originals at the back of the cupboard. Some windows DVD ripping software works under wine.
    Last edited by nickrout; September 16th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post

PS I hate those little silver disks. Teenagers leave them on the floor, the dog sits on them and the cat plays with them. Even if they are in the cover, it can never be found. Rip them to hard drive and put the originals at the back of the cupboard. Some windows DVD ripping software works under wine.
    I also find the physical disks obnoxious, and tend to play everything from files. So I will give makemkv a go next time, since everything else Linux seems to segfault with these Paramount discs.

The Windows version of HandBrake has no difficulty with the actual ripping of the DVD in question (I don't know at the moment whether Win HandBrake runs in Wine). But WinHandBrake can't identify the correct title of the 99 titles it finds. In the absence of a useable version of VLC for these discs, a translation utility like the recently-patched AnyDVD is useful, because it suppresses all titles from the view of HandBrake except the correct title.

But the Windows version of HandBrake is agonizingly slow (generally processes at under 3 frames per second), and the kids are not necessarily understanding of why they have to wait 18-26 hours to watch their new movie.

The main point is that Mythtv users who stumble across one of these new Paramount discs in the near future can expect to have an unpleasant time of it. Unless they have configured their setups to pipe a standalone DVD player through a TV tuner card, whereupon these movies would be post-processed like any other recorded TV stream in Myth.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I tried the latest VLC 1.1.11, compiled from source, and it segfaults.

makemkvcon/makemkv does *not* work on this movie (it sorta does - see below). I'm using the latest version. It can't figure out which title is the real one and wants to rip all 99 of them. It will start the rip, but always dies just before the end, and the frustrating thing is that it does not leave the partial file, which does play (don't know if it is the right order or not). You can use ddrescue on it, and it works without errors. So I have a backup of the iso - but still unplayable.

I left it run over night on all of the titles, and it hangs up somewhere along the line. It gives me cryptic:

Debug log started at Fri Sep 16 06:52:32 2011 , written by MakeMKV v1.6.14 linux(x64-release)
    Using 524544KB for read cache.
    001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.6.14 linux(x64-release) started
    001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /home/doug/MakeMKV_log.txt
    005072:0000 Backing up disc into folder "temp"
    001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at jt/(OKew-9h$uj:29399680
    001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at ~|GA,EVLe|dVky`9<a,U:121274101
    001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 233 at hqPmEnZnfSHRG3W18/Bd1/DE:0
    005069:0080 Backup failed
    005080:0204 Backup failed.
    Application exited at Fri Sep 16 06:52:47 2011

Further inspection of the titles that were ripped (not sure why they didn't get erased), title 22 looks like the whole movie. I just don't know if it is out of order (like can happen with Disuckney movies). So makemkv looks like it sorta works with these movies. It rips the previews as well. I'll let you know if the movie plays OK.

I used to be dead set against pirating movies, but not anymore. When the studios make it so you can't play your own movies so they can get filthy rich, you either download it or don't watch it. Perhaps not watching it is a better idea, since most of what comes out of hollywood is absolute trash anyway.

I'm trying handbrake on Linux on this, and you are right it is very slow (says 14H for 26H of movie). Hopefully it does the job. I'll report back on it. I didn't detect any titles, but it did figure out the movie size, and it's doing something. Hopefully it's the right something. - apparently not.

Curious. If I rip directly from the DVD, it just stops with no DVD activity for a long time at about 70M. If I rip from the iso, it thinks it has 26 hours of video, but stops at about 900M (~1 hour), and the resulting video is not decrypted using mp4.

I tried DVDFab, but it does not decrypt the movie, however this was on the iso. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my DVD recognized by DVDFab..here it is:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/cdrom0
    Code:
    echo "/dev/sr0   /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec   0 0" |sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
    ln -s /media/cdrom0 e:
    Code:
    mount /media/cdrom
    run DVDFab. It turns out that DVDFab will only decrypt if it is run on the DVD, and it has just occured to me that because the only way to back up your movies is to decrypt them - then all movies get stored as unencrypted.

DVDFab also has a 2-3 second lip sync problem but the makemkv does not. So for this movie, I guess makemkv wins on Linux.
    Last edited by rickyrockrat; September 16th, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: update