Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 349

Thread: ASUS u36sd support thread

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    402
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    ASUS u36sd support thread

    Link to the wiki for u36sd
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD

    So it turns out that I had a usb 3.0 problem with mine so I do not know when or even if I will be getting a u36sd with ubuntu.

    Works out of the box
    Audio
    Audio out port
    Internal microphone
    Mic port
    HDMI port
    Video (without desktop effects)
    USB
    Wireless Networking
    WiFi switch (Fn+F2)
    VGA port
    Card reader
    Brightness control (Fn+F5/F6)
    LCD on/off switch (Fn+F8)
    Multitouch touchpad (two finger scrolling, activate via System Settings)
    Intel Turbo Boost (to test, run turbostat from the package acpidump)

    Does not work out of the box
    Desktop effects
    Nvidia card
    Volume control (Fn+F10/F11/F12)
    Multimedia controls (Fn+Up/Down/Left/Right)
    Suspend
    Bluetooth

    Helpful Tips and Tweaks
    Unity 3D and Nvidia graphics support: Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT install the Nvidia graphics drivers. It will not work.
    Options:
    1. use this to disable the nvidia gpu and just use the intel gpu.
    2. Install bumblebee/Ironhide for dual graphics support.

    How to fix webcam orientation. Follow the instructions here to fix webcam orientation.

    Frequently Asked Questions
    Will the Nvidia Graphics drivers work? No they will not. Nvidia is not supporting Optimus in Linux so the official Nvidia drivers will not work with this laptop. Do NOT install them, it will only create problems. The only way to make use of the Nvidia graphics card in Linux is to use Bumblebee/Ironhide otherwise you are stuck using the Intel hd3000 that is integrated with the cpu.

    If anyone has a u36sd already please post what works/what doesn't work and any extra configuration/tweaks you had to do to get things to work properly. I will add your advice and instructions to this main post so we can make a comprehensive guide for other owners.

    Thanks to:
    Martin Juhl - Bumblebee/Ironhide (http://www.martin-juhl.dk/)
    Last edited by nwadams; September 9th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Hello,
    I just installed 11.04_desktop_amd64 fresh on my U36SD after wiping clean the harddrive and merging all partitions with gparted live.

    The first problem that appeared was that the hardware was not sufficient for running unity. This issue has to do with the dual intel onboard/nvidia graphics. I just discovered bumblebee and Nouveau and am going to look into this later. The best thing to do to have the thing running with intel is to disable unity upon logon (ubuntu-standard option) or install unity 2D (sudo apt-get install unity-2d).


    EDIT : not all Fn keys shortcuts work (yet)
    Last edited by adrien214; August 25th, 2011 at 08:13 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    I also plan on getting that ASUS notebook. Have you tried these drivers?

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...21-driver.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    402
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by popsch View Post
    I also plan on getting that ASUS notebook. Have you tried these drivers?

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...21-driver.html
    That won't work. The u36sd has nvidia optimus which nvidia is not supporting. You will need to use the intel drivers and acpi_call to disable the nvidia gpu OR use some form of bumblebee.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Does Nvidia have a good track history of building Linux drivers? It's pity otherwise, because the Asus looks really good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    now bumblebee has forked to Ironhide as well...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    74
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nwadams View Post
    Does not work out of the box
    Fn shortcut keys - adrien214
    there are several fn-keys and quite alot of them are actually working.

    Working
    • “ZZ” Icon (F1): Places the Notebook PC in suspend mode.
    • Radio Tower (F2): Toggles theinternal wireless LAN on.
    • Sun Down Icon (F5): Decreases the display brightness.
    • Sun Up Icon (F6): Increases the display brightness.
    • LCD Icon (F7): Toggles the display panel on and off.
    • LCD/Monitor Icons (F8): Toggles between the Notebook PC’s LCD display and an external monitor.
    • Num Lk (Ins): Toggles the numeric keypad on and off.
    • Scr Lk (Del):
      Quote Originally Posted by AbtZ View Post
      Scroll Lock works. At least it shows up in when running "xev" -- none of the other non-working keys do.



    Not Working
    • Crossed-out Touchpad (F9)
    • Crossed Speaker Icons (F10)
    • Speaker Down Icon (F11)
    • Speaker Up Icon (F12)
    • Stop (Up Arrow)
    • Play/Pause (Down Arrow)
    • Next (Right Arrow)
    • Previous (Left Arrow)


    observe that this is with an out of the box setup. Ubuntu 11.04, x86.
    Last edited by olof_; August 31st, 2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: got scroll lock confirmed working.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    131

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by olof_ View Post
    there are several fn-keys and quite alot of them are actually working.

    Working
    • “ZZ” Icon (F1): Places the Notebook PC in suspend mode.
    • Radio Tower (F2): Toggles theinternal wireless LAN on.
    • Sun Down Icon (F5): Decreases the display brightness.
    • Sun Up Icon (F6): Increases the display brightness.
    • LCD Icon (F7): Toggles the display panel on and off.
    • LCD/Monitor Icons (F8): Toggles between the Notebook PC’s LCD display and an external monitor.
    • Num Lk (Ins): Toggles the numeric keypad on and off.



    Not Working
    • Crossed-out Touchpad (F9)
    • Crossed Speaker Icons (F10)
    • Speaker Down Icon (F11)
    • Speaker Up Icon (F12)
    • Stop (Up Arrow)
    • Play/Pause (Down Arrow)
    • Next (Right Arrow)
    • Previous (Left Arrow)


    Not Tested (yet)
    • Scr Lk (Del)


    observe that this is with an out of the box setup. Ubuntu 11.04, x86.
    Scroll Lock works. At least it shows up in when running "xev" -- none of the other non-working keys do.

    Doesn't anyone know how to fix them, or how to start at least? 'Twould be nice to get at least the volume keys to work.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    44
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Question Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nwadams View Post
    Link to the wiki for u36sd
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36SD

    So it turns out that I had a usb 3.0 problem with mine so I do not know when or even if I will be getting a u36sd with ubuntu.

    Works out of the box
    Audio
    Audio out port
    Internal microphone
    Mic port
    HDMI port
    Video (without desktop effects)
    USB
    Wireless Networking
    WiFi switch (Fn+F2)
    VGA port
    Card reader
    Brightness control (Fn+F5/F6)
    LCD on/off switch (Fn+F8)
    Multitouch touchpad (two finger scrolling, activate via System Settings)
    Intel Turbo Boost (to test, run turbostat from the package acpidump)

    Does not work out of the box
    Desktop effects
    Nvidia card
    Volume control (Fn+F10/F11/F12)
    Multimedia controls (Fn+Up/Down/Left/Right)
    Suspend
    Bluetooth

    ...

    If anyone has a u36sd already please post what works/what doesn't work and any extra configuration/tweaks you had to do to get things to work properly. I will add your advice and instructions to this main post so we can make a comprehensive guide for other owners.
    ...
    Hi, I am waiting for Xubuntu 11.10 to get some issues fixed automatically on my U36SD, then I'll post more.
    BUT... there is no info about the fingerprint reader - how to get it working?

    Thanks a lot
    crysman

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    402
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: ASUS u36sd support thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crysman View Post
    Hi, I am waiting for Xubuntu 11.10 to get some issues fixed automatically on my U36SD, then I'll post more.
    BUT... there is no info about the fingerprint reader - how to get it working?

    Thanks a lot
    crysman
    I didn't even know this model had a fingerprint reader option. Mine and I guess everybody else's doesn't currently have one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •