Thread: Update from 11.04 to 11.10 alpha

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Update from 11.04 to 11.10 alpha

Went to get the newest development release using the code "update-manager -d" and I get the following error:

Code:
    W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/oneiric/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/oneiric/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    So it will not let me finish the update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Update from 11.04 to 11.10 alpha

Go into software sources, click on the other software tab and uncheck the independent listings. Then it should work. Just a note, Oneiric is not in alpha stage yet and many things are broken. Do not use it in your production environment, use a virtual machine or install it separately.
    FX-4100, GA-970A-D3, CM Hyper 212+, 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333, Kingston HyperX 3K 90GB SSD, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, nVidia GTX 480
    Windows 7 Pro (Ubuntu 12.04 VM), Ubuntu Server 12.04, Ubuntu User #31355
    Dropbox!

Beans
    Distro

thx linuxman94, that solved the issue. I dont use this on a main pc the one I am trying to update is my testing pc to help do debugging work for a software company.

Beans

I'd wait until the second beta or release candidate to install 11.10. GNOME 3 is still buggy and if they can get it stable by the time the major features are frozen, it'll be an accomplishment!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    I'd wait until the second beta or release candidate to install 11.10. GNOME 3 is still buggy and if they can get it stable by the time the major features are frozen, it'll be an accomplishment!
    That's the reason why this forum is here, to find and report bugs, if you want stable and mostly bug free, use the LTS version.