Thread: how to use built in webcam?

Hybrid View

Beans

how to use built in webcam?

hi, i am kinda new at this so please forgive my kinda dumb question and please give me answers a non geek can understand, lol I can't seem to figure out how to get the built in web cam on my computer to work with 10.10. It wasn't really an issue before , my computer was duel booted so i would use windows when i wanted to use it but now i only have ubuntu and i have tried a few programs out but none of them seem to work really well and for some reason i can't seem to find the one i used to use.

I have a dell inpiron 1420 with a built in web cam and i know on windows it had dell web cam center but i am not sure if that is also on ubuntu or even if i could get it to work with wine. I have done a little searching around the forums and all i can seem to find is info referring to usb web cams. All i really want to be able to do is take photos using my web cam, i am not really worried about being able to get online with it. I tried cheese but it takes really bad photos and i know my web cam can do better then that!!!

any help is really appriciated!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how to use built in webcam?

Do you mind explaining what exactly is wrong.
    Webcams are usually not intended for taking good quality pictures. With the pixel count ranging from 0.3 to 1.3 mega-pixels, the best they can do is take small pictures of average quality.

Beans

I have similar problem with inspiron mini 1012. Just got it and as I'm dealing first time with ubuntu, I even can't find, what kind of webcam I have here built in.
    I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and only my gmail account recognises that I have webcam in my computer, but it does actually not work at all. Skype does not see it.

Regards
    Tarmo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi murmik, I don't think your problem is similar in the least. You have different Ubuntu versions, and the OPs webcam takes bad quality pictures, whereas yours doesn't work at all. It's odd though, because I thought Dell mini 1012 was well supported.

Beans

Hi,

Thank you for your opinnion. In my example I would say it is not well supported. First I had to change Dell Wi-Fi card to Intel, to get it work. Now I can't find webcam. Firefox tells me every time I start, it is already open and I should close it, even after restart of OS.

Tarmo

Beans

Hi,
    Even I have a problem with inbuilt web cam detection with ubuntu.
    I have recently installed Ubuntu on my Dell laptop.
    Can anyone please guide me how do I set up my inbuilt webcam to work on ubuntu ??

Thanks

Beans

I tried the above "gstreamer-properties" and had the same issue. it couldnt find any device. Im running 12.04.2 desktop on Gateway nv53(its ****). lest jsut say i have to use ubuntu cause my windows went awol, but thats another issue. i cant get my built incamera to work, i downloaded Cheese! and all. if you have a solution, please walk me though in code... im a copy-paste linux user XD.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, welcome to the fora.

The problem is not likely to be specific to Dell. Better to post again in Absolute Beginners Section, stating the results from all your attempts together with the output from lsusb.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts