Thread: How to test that Apparmor is working?

Hybrid View

Beans

[SOLVED] How to test that Apparmor is working?

So I activated the Firefox profile:

Code:
    sudo aa-enforce /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
    and restarted Firefox (even rebooted), but it doesn't seem to be working. When I open Firefox I am able to perform a "Save Page As" in locations I shouldn't be able to, like my Desktop or Pictures folder.

The following command says the Firefox process is in enforce mode:

Code:
    sudo apparmor_status
    Of the following lines, the only directory which is "rw" is /Downloads, why am I still able to write to other places?

Code:
      # Default profile allows downloads to ~/Downloads and uploads from ~/Public
      owner @{HOME}/ r,
      owner @{HOME}/Public/ r,
      owner @{HOME}/Public/* r,
      owner @{HOME}/Downloads/ r,
      owner @{HOME}/Downloads/* rw,

Can someone with an active Firefox profile do this simple test for me? Click File -> Save As and try to save somewhere the Apparmor profile shouldn't let you, and let me know the results.
    Last edited by DodgeV83; October 10th, 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to test that Apparmor is working?

I think someone else recently posted about the same issue on 10.10. Not sure what the deal is. A bug perhaps?
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    I think someone else recently posted about the same issue on 10.10. Not sure what the deal is. A bug perhaps?
    I think that was me :-/

After installing Apparmor-notify, I can see in realtime that Apparmor is activated and working with my firefox install, but I can still "save-as" to random folders in my /home

Now I just need someone with 10.04 install and Apparmor installed to tell me if this is new behavior or not

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The default AppArmor profile for Firefox is quite permissive.

You may want to consider trying the profile kindly provided by bodhi.zazen and see if that suits your needs better:
    http://bodhizazen.net/aa-profiles/bodhizazen/

Also, read the AppArmor sticky to understand how to put the profile in complain mode for troubleshooting purposes.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    The default AppArmor profile for Firefox is quite permissive.

You may want to consider trying the profile kindly provided by bodhi.zazen and see if that suits your needs better:
    http://bodhizazen.net/aa-profiles/bodhizazen/

Also, read the AppArmor sticky to understand how to put the profile in complain mode for troubleshooting purposes.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah, but his profile apparently does not allow writing to a directory he is writing to. So something is wrong somewhere, and I doubt it's the profile.

OP, can you post the entire Maverick 10.10 Firefox profile here so that we can be sure the profile really does allow what you claim it shouldn't?
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I do not know why the default firefox profile allows you to write to files in you home directory, you should:

1. Report this as a bug.

2. Customize the profile to disallow this behaviour. You can use my 10.04 profile if you wish or I will try to look at the 10.10 profiles over the next few days.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface