Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

Hybrid View

Beans

Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

I installed Lucid on my new laptop, a Toshiba A665. Everything seems to work very will right out of the box. The only very minor issue I have run into is that I cannot figure out how to get the illuminated backlit keyboard to work. It works fine under the native windows installation,and works fine through the Grub bootloader selection menu. However, a few seconds after the laptop starts to install Ubuntu, the backlighting turns off. The keyboard button (Fn-Z) does not turn it back on. It is not the end of the world, but I kind of like the feature. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

Hello !!

Check this out. It's aimed at Macbook Pro but I reckon you might be abled to get some info out of this. It's got some details regarding control of keyboard backlit LEDs through the use of an ambient light sensor, but if you ignore that it might be of some use.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...Lucid#Keyboard

Hope this helps.

Beans

Re: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem. Mine's not a dual-boot install, Ubuntu 10.04 only. The KB lights up during POST, but goes off as soon as Linux starts to load. Nothing will bring it back. I went into the BIOS and set the KB lighting to 'Always On', but that was no help either.

Like the OP said, it's not a deal-breaker, but I was counting on being able to use the feature in dim/no light situations. All info appreciated.

TNX,
    ldb
    K5WLF

Beans

Bump, same problem. Satellite A660, backlight works up until it starts booting. Fn-Z doesn't work. Any ideas?

Beans

bump, the same for me

Toshiba A665-3DV, lit is on when in BIOS, Windows, disabled while ubuntu10.10

Beans

hey same problem here i have Toshiba satellite a665-s6067
    when the system starts all the light goes off and when i put two fingers on the touch pad the mouse starts to jump crazy from place to place !!! any one can help ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flbiggs View Post
    I installed Lucid on my new laptop, a Toshiba A665. Everything seems to work very will right out of the box. The only very minor issue I have run into is that I cannot figure out how to get the illuminated backlit keyboard to work. It works fine under the native windows installation,and works fine through the Grub bootloader selection menu. However, a few seconds after the laptop starts to install Ubuntu, the backlighting turns off. The keyboard button (Fn-Z) does not turn it back on. It is not the end of the world, but I kind of like the feature. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    You need drive in order to get it work. It is not easy to find the right drive. Every if it is in OS without backlit drive, it won't work.

Beans

Mine quit working again after working for over a week. I'm sure at this point it is some left over setting from windows.

Cory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If anyone here is familiar with the omnibook developers then I think that the omnibook module is the way to go in getting KBD backlighting implemented for our laptops. So go over to their sourceforge page and I have already posted a feature request so back or duplicate it or whatever you need to do to get their attention.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Ok, so here's a little piece of info. I recently installed OpenSuse, the keyboard light was working until I figured out I need ACPI support to read the battery power, so it wouldn't just shut off. So there's the same problem in another OS. Not much help, however, shortly before I switched back to Ubuntu, it started working again. So I think that they fixed that problem. Someone with more knowledge in this area might want to look into what they did to get it to work. There are also some Japanese college kids who are working on porting linux into Toshibas. I can't think of the name of the project off hand, but it might also be worth looking into. I'm also trying to figure out a way to make this work, so between all of, those that are still interested, we should be able to come up with something? Maybe?

I have a Satelite A665 running UBU11.04 kernel 2.6.38-11 gen

I do have some fn keyboard buttons working though, so maybe that's another way.
    fn buttons that work-
    volume up
    volume down
    briight up
    bright down
    hybernate
    print screen
    key pad on/off
    sound on/off
    Last edited by Murdoc_of_puts; October 9th, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast