Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A solution to Fixing the Missing Network Manager Icon in Ubuntu 9.10

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile A solution to Fixing the Missing Network Manager Icon in Ubuntu 9.10

Hello Everyone.

This morning, I booted up my laptop and tried to connect to the school's wireless when I noticed that the icon for Network Manager was missing from the toolbar. I checked to see that Network Manager was running and it was, the icon had just disappeared for some reason. After tinkering around with the panel a little bit, I discovered that if you remove the notification area on the panel (right click the three vertical dots and click "Remove From Panel") and then re-add it ( right click the panel, click "Add to Panel" and search for "Notification Area", then click it) the Network Manager icon will reappear, thus allowing you to connect to wireless networks.

Hope this works if you're having the same problem!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: A solution to Fixing the Missing Network Manager Icon in Ubuntu 9.10

Had the same problem upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10.
    Just want to say a big thank you to you people who bother to post to this forum.

Beans

Re: A solution to Fixing the Missing Network Manager Icon in Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks a lott bro. it was very useful. I had a tough tym searchin wat went wrong........ thanks a lott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had (by accident) come to the same conclusion on this point, but it's not really a solution though is it? I was wondering if someone had found a more permanent resolution of the problem.
    "All of your base are belong to us!"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Maupertus View Post
    I had (by accident) come to the same conclusion on this point, but it's not really a solution though is it? I was wondering if someone had found a more permanent resolution of the problem.
    I agree, it isn't a permanent solution. Every time I rebooted the icon would disappear and I'd have to reinstall the notification area. A few days ago, I was forced to do a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10 due to some dual-booting issues and I don't have that problem with the network manager icon anymore, it stays on the panel like it's supposed to. If I find a solution to the problem I'll definitely post it to this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

it is afecting me also
    bug reported at:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...et/+bug/482684

Beans

hi, having the same problem.....and i just have updated my 9.10....and still having the same problem.

but in my case,the wireless work for a while, then it disconnected and the logo goes missing.

after searching, i installed wifi radar...and thought it solved the problem....

but no can do.......hope somebody could guide me with this problem....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhucookie View Post
    Hello Everyone.

This morning, I booted up my laptop and tried to connect to the school's wireless when I noticed that the icon for Network Manager was missing from the toolbar. I checked to see that Network Manager was running and it was, the icon had just disappeared for some reason. After tinkering around with the panel a little bit, I discovered that if you remove the notification area on the panel (right click the three vertical dots and click "Remove From Panel") and then re-add it ( right click the panel, click "Add to Panel" and search for "Notification Area", then click it) the Network Manager icon will reappear, thus allowing you to connect to wireless networks.

Hope this works if you're having the same problem!
    Thanks for posting, got my icon back

Beans

I'm absolute beginner. I reinstall the network manager and found that nm-applet didn't show up in the notification area.

So, this is what I did and it worked for me.

1. Go to /usr/share/app-install/desktop and find Network Manager
    2. Right click.. Properties.. copy the command line
    3. Go to System.. Preferences.. Startup Applications and look for Network Manager
    4. Click Edit and paste the command then save
    5. Log out, log in

Command should be something like this
    Code:
    nm-applet --sm-disable
    Hope it works for you.

Beans

still not getting the network manager icon back. got everything else back. any idea how to get the icon back so that I can connect to wireless networks at places like coffee shops and such?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast