Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 upgrade says I have failing hard drive

Hybrid View

Beans

9.10 upgrade says I have failing hard drive

I just upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 and when I restarted and got to the desktop, there was an icon in the top panel that when hovered over said, "One or more disks are failing." This was not happening before I upgraded.

When I clicked on the icon, a window opened titled "Palimpsest Disk Utility." It said that my hard disk "has many bad sectors." I clicked on a link that said "More information" and another window came up titled "SMART Data." This window also says the disk has many bad sectors, and I ran the Short self test. The window says "Last self-test completed OK." Near the bottom of the window is a list. In this list, the following items are printed in red: "Reallocated Sector Count, Normalized: 100, Worst: 100, Threshold: 10, Value: 1 sector." "Current Pending Sector Count, Normalized: 100, Worst: 100, Threshold: 0, Value: 983 sectors."

I wonder if it is just a coincidence that the failing hard drive appeared immediately after upgrading and in fact I do have a failing hard drive, or if this is some kind of bug and I have a normal hard drive. The computer is just over a year old.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I back up my data and replace the hard drive? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thunder Dan

Beans

Re: 9.10 upgrade says I have failing hard drive

I hate to tell you this, but you need to backup any data you need, and now. I personally would put in another drive as a slave (or an external media of some form), boot into a Live CD, and try and copy everything that way. Whether or not it was a direct result of the update, I cannot tell you, but I would be skeptical. But, once everything is backed up, you have time to contemplate.

Keep in mind, hard drives can fail at any time.

Edit: And I say boot into a live CD, because you want to stress your hard drive as little as possible.
    Last edited by Zach1188; October 24th, 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The exact same thing happened to me when I upgraded on my laptop. It actually seems to be a bug. When it happened to me, I decided to go back to 9.04, which then told me my disk was fine. Then I did a complete install of 9.10 and AGAIN it told me my disk was failing. This was 1 week ago, I have simply disabled the message and my system is running fine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Backing up is always a good idea. This has been a known issue with karmic, where the utility is very sensitive. I haven't had the problem since like alpha 4 so I think it's been addressed.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans

I am getting the same warning with 9.10 RC, I can test the drive with the manufactures .iso utility and it test fine. I have found other post with people having similar issues.
    My guess this hard drive smart check is a bit to sensitive.

Beans

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm going to let the hard disk keep running for now. I'll back up my sensitive data daily and see if either this bug gets fixed or if my hard drive actually fails. Let's hope it really is a bug. Is there perhaps a bug report I should file on launchpad, or is it already filed?
    Thunder Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This could be a bug, as I've seen a lot of bizarre issues with the new disk utility, BUT it is important to note that previous versions of Ubuntu did not come with the disk monitoring utility. Thus, you could indeed have a failing drive that wasn't being reported until now.
    Sierra square, delta square...

Beans

Same thing happened to me....with all of the others with the same problem I am not to worried!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Add me to the list.

My old, but, under used ATA Fujitsu is throwing up the same error message on my laptop. Three months ago was running absolutely clean under Windows. No apparent problem while running 8.10.

Think I'll stick with it for now, but, stay well backed up!

First problem

Sorry to say but i have 2 new HDD

I got 2 SAMSUNG HD103UJ ( 1TB Each )

1 says "DISK IS BEING USED OUTSIDE DESIGN PARAMETERS" and when i check where the problem is it says at
    184 - Attribute 184 ( Failing)

The other disk says "Disk has a few bad sectors" the error it says
    197 - Current Pending Sector Count ( Warning)

This are new hard drives ( the second one i bought to check if the first one was damaged but no it was not)

Then i got 2 new hdd, one 250gb and another 320gb.
    1 Western Digital 320GB WD3200AAKS
    1 Samsung 250GB HD252HJ

It says they are also bad. But all of this disks are all new.
    Am getting like A LOT SCARED NOW!!.

My motherboard is the Intel DP35DP which i updated a week ago to the latest bios version. I have checked and change sata cables for all HDD (All SATA)

What more info can i give here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast