Thread: Is it possible to watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine?

Hybrid View

Beans

Is it possible to watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine?

Hi,

I am trying to view Netflix "watch instantly" movies using the XP version of Firefox under Wine.

I got the XP version of Firefox to install and it runs just fine.

I need to install the "silverlight" plug-in in order to use the "watch instantly" feature from the Netflix website. When I try to install it with the Wine Windows Program Loader, it needs to extract some files. I get a message saying:

Extraction faild: unable to find a volume for file extraction. Please verifiy that you have proper permissions.

I think that this means that I need root permissions to install "silverlight" with the "Wine Windows Program Loader".

Does this mean that I need to type in something in a terminal like:

$sudo <Wine Windows Program Loader> silverlight

?

And can someone show me the proper commands and syntax?

Please help me,
    Bob

Beans

Re: Watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine

Hi Bob, Netflix has chosen not to support Linux, unfortunately. You'll need Windows or Mac to watch instantly.

Beans

The only way to watch Netflix on Linux is with a virtual machine loaded with Windows XP, Vista and maybe Windows 7

Beans

Unfortunately Flash performance is worse in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux than in Windows. I recommend dual booting if you watch a lot of Netflix.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine

There definitely is no linux support in Netflix, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't hack it to think it is in windows.

Could try sudo if you're willing to fix things if they get gnarly. I do not know where the loader wants to put those files. If you can apply some verbose flags on the loader within the terminal it might give some clue. As usual, be careful with sudo (though I recklessly use it myself).

I would hope that a program would try to install itself nicely and compactly, but it's very possible that Silverlight wants to install things at the windows\system level.

EDIT: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=33333

... info on Silverlight. If you feel adventureous perhaps you can try to make it work better than it says?
    Last edited by Defrector; September 14th, 2009 at 03:13 AM. Reason: afterthought

Beans

Thanks a lot you guys. And thanks for that website. I'm just a newbie so I'll hold off on trying to make it work. If it weren't for your help, I probably would have wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work.

Cheers,
    Bob