View Poll Results: Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

Voters
341. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 16.42%
  • No

236 69.21%
  • I don't know

49 14.37%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

What do you say?

(Message to the moderators: I am not trying to bash ubuntu, I just want to know what people think on this subject.)

UPDATE: I'm now running Jaunty, and xorg has severe graphical artifacts my intel video card that render the system unusable.
    Bravo ubuntu devs!
    keep celebrating failure.
    Last edited by verb3k; April 20th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans

Re: Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

Personally, I don't follow the progess of Ubuntu enough to notice.

I have heard many people say that Ubuntu is getting heavier and more bloated as time progresses, but at the same time, hardware is progressing as well.

Beans

I guess I don't have too much of a say since I jumped on board with ubuntu on Hardy Heron. I originally became interested in Ubuntu at 6.06 but it was impossible to get it to work with my network adapter at that time. Anyway, when I upgraded to Intrepid, half of the things worked better out of the box than Hardy, the other half worked worse right away and for quite a while I was tempted to roll back, however I sorted them out and I'm happier with Intrepid now. It just sucks that gnome panels seems a little less flexible than in Hardy. What kind of update is that..

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

I heard Jaunty was getting rid of the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combo. Kind of a retarded decision IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I dont think so personally. When I first looked at ubuntu, it was 7.10 I didnt install it because, quite frankly, it was ugly. 8.10's new colors made me change my mind lol
    These days, my computers change so much, all I can say for sure here is ubuntu.

Beans

It does get heavier with each release, but so does everything else. Also Ubuntu gets better with each release but its best to wait a bit after release for all the bugs to be fixed.

It seems like the initial releases are always buggy, then as they get fixed they are stable. Like Hardy which I just upgraded to, when it was released, there were tons of complaints about bugs but now its very stable.

Beans
    Hidden!

I heard that, in Jaunty, to save on bloat, those super cow powers are going bye-bye. And not only that, but to save space on the servers, they're pulling all the zeros out of their ISOs.

Yeah, it's really starting to get bad over at Canonical these days.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans

Feisty was worse than Dapper, and I do think the six-month release cycle is too accelerated (must be based on commercial / marketing reasoning) but it's definitely not getting worse overall with each release. But I'd like to see a 9 month release schedule, with more thorough testing. Just me.
    Ubuntu Mint Mate 64-Bit
    HP Slimline AMD Turion64 | Dell D531
    Windows 7U / Winxp [gaming] Mint16

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Re: Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

Well, I got my first Ubuntu release right when I joined here. i installed, erased my vista, and was utterly confused, frustrated, and excited for the next few hours, then I plugged in my Ethernet, and KAAZAAM! I was online, and I immediately created an account here to straighten things up. they definitely need to put the link to the Ubuntu forums on the download page...
    Well, back to topic, I really don't know, but I was WAY happier with Intrepid than Hardy. The default theme made me want to ditch Ubuntu, and not come back. Although, I am using Jaunty, (I am typing on it right now) and I don't see any huge differences, other than my graphics driver wont be detected. We will see... (NOOOOOOOOOO! Crtl-Alt-Backspace... GONE! *WEEP* *WEEP* *cries eyes out*
    Last edited by inxygnuu; December 30th, 2008 at 04:28 AM.
    HP pavilion dv 6910us, 2.0 GHZ AMD turion 64 X2, 3 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7150M.
    cool tongue dude!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My first ubuntu release was breezy (thats 5.10, i think), and I started because I inherited a very old laptop that wouldn't run windows. I used it for a while, but didn't have enough ram, and left it. I tried again with dapper, and have been using ever since. I think it has gone from strength to strength - I remember when it took me a whole week to get my laptop all set up: admittedly I knew little about linux, and had to do a lot of asking questions, but trying to battle with ndiswrapper and wireless updates was a nightmare. I missed out gutsy, using archlinux for over a year, but its got to the stage where the updates come so regularly that stuff breaks all the time. I came back to ubuntu for intrepid, using the alt-disc to install a cli system, and adding stuff i need on top of it. It was a little tricky since i didn't know offhand which packages i need.
    After doing the wifi setup though, everything else was a breeze. My card still needs firmware ripping (b43), but once that's done, it does "just work". I'll be sticking around. I didn't realise xorg.conf was deprecated, but that's where i did all my setup. If you want less bloat and more control, go for the cli install. Just be prepared to use elinks to google for help a few times...

Oh, and I hear in jaunty, there's cake. Maybe they're just tricking us...
    Ubuntu user #11075
    Howto: AwesomeWM (OUTDATED) || My BitBucket Page || My deviantArt page
    If you find a post helpful, click the medal icon to give thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    ... wallpaper is a tiling of the opera icons.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast