Thread: DVD Movie Plays fine But dd doesn't like it.

Hybrid View

Beans

DVD Movie Plays fine But dd doesn't like it.

I bought a DVD Movie (Dark Knight) and I want the iso on my computer. I can play the movie in vlc but when I run
    Code:
    # dd if=/dev/dvd of=/home/user/Desktop/Bat.iso
    dd: reading `/dev/dvd': Input/output error
    720352+0 records in
    720352+0 records out
    368820224 bytes (369 MB) copied, 77.214 s, 4.8 MB/s
    Since dd is a low-level operation, it makes no sense to me that the DVD plays but dd cannot simply read the 1s and 0s from the dvd.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: DVD Movie Plays fine But dd doesn't like it.

That's a strange device for your dvd player. Mine is /dev/scd0. Use the same device as listed in fstab
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    I can't remember if dd needs the device mounted or umounted, but you should try both ways. You can always try using Brasero; I'm pretty sure it can make iso's. I prefer using command line tools, but it may be easier to go with GUI app.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown96 View Post
    That's a strange device for your dvd player. Mine is /dev/scd0. Use the same device as listed in fstab
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    I can't remember if dd needs the device mounted or umounted, but you should try both ways. You can always try using Brasero; I'm pretty sure it can make iso's. I prefer using command line tools, but it may be easier to go with GUI app.
    That's the one I tried first. It stopped at the same place (369 MB)
    Also, brasero was the first method I tried. I have tried mounted and unmounted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If I remember correctly, that error comes up when you try to duplicate encrypted DVDs. They purposely "corrupt" the data so it cannot be easily copied to reduce piracy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolcol View Post
    If I remember correctly, that error comes up when you try to duplicate encrypted DVDs. They purposely "corrupt" the data so it cannot be easily copied to reduce piracy.
    This isn't true. dd makes a bit for bit copy, and encryption doesn't matter. While you won't be able to play the dvd unless you have some libraries to decrypt it, there won't be any problems making a copy.

I don't really know what the problem is. What kind of filesystem are you using (if it's really strange, it might not support large files)? Could you try with another dvd? I'm sure you've tried this a few times; does it always fail at the same point?

Beans

This isn't true. dd makes a bit for bit copy, and encryption doesn't matter. While you won't be able to play the dvd unless you have some libraries to decrypt it, there won't be any problems making a copy.

I don't really know what the problem is. What kind of filesystem are you using (if it's really strange, it might not support large files)? Could you try with another dvd? I'm sure you've tried this a few times; does it always fail at the same point?
    Batman is a 2-Disc set.
    The special features (7.8 GB) copied fine, but the actual feature won't
    yeah it always fails at 369 MB
    Last edited by JohnGalt131; December 13th, 2008 at 11:24 PM.

Beans

I did the research once and Rolcol is right, it is (unfortunately) true; that's why you can't simply use "dd" to copy any DVD movie you want to. If you want to copy an encrypted movie, you have to use something like K9Copy, which is available in the repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Rolcol is correct, although it isn't really part of the encryption in the strictest sense. Some studios (for cds, too, actually) will deliberately put bad sectors on the disc specifically to defeat bit-for-bit copies. Others will intentionally use a broken filesystem structure.

It isn't new, and serves no purpose other than to annoy their customers.

The forum guidelines probably prevent me from specifically saying how I regard people that do this.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

/dev/dvd and /dev/scd0 will be the exact same device, just under two different aliases.

/dev/scd0 will be the actual device
    /dev/dvd is mapped to it because its detected that there is a dvd there.