Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resource Hog: update-apt-xapi

Beans
    Hidden!

Resource Hog: update-apt-xapi

I see a process update-apt-xapi that brings my system to an unusable state each morning

update-apt-xapi

Shades of Windows!

Is this thing really necessary, or can I

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge apt-xapian-index
    sudo apt-get autoremove --purge

without breaking something else?

NB: It has been suggested this problem occurs on low resource system only. Wrong; my PC is high end, dual core, 4G RAM.

Thanks
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans

Re: Resource Hog: update-apt-xapi

You can go to the synaptic and find that package and lock version.That way it will be no more upgraded.You can also

Code:
    sudo aptitude hold package_name

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by zvacet View Post
    You can go to the synaptic and find that package and lock version.That way it will be no more upgraded.You can also

Code:
    sudo aptitude hold package_name
    Thanks
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans

I have the same issue, but my system is rather old (P3 with 256 MB of RAM) and running Xubuntu.

Here is what I did to disable it:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 644 /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index
    It makes the file not executable.

Beans

Was having the same issue , Jaunty 32 Bit, this site helped : http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com...u-9-04-jaunty/

Thanks to the person who wrote it!!
    The truth is always beautiful, no matter how ugly it might seem at first.

Beans

Nice enough tale, but why not just "nice" it?

in /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index

Change
    Code:
    $CMD --quiet
    to
    Code:
    nice -n20 $CMD --quiet

Beans

Question Re: Resource Hog: update-apt-xapi

Quote Originally Posted by alias_knagg View Post
    Nice enough tale, but why not just "nice" it?

in /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index

Change
    Code:
    $CMD --quiet
    to
    Code:
    nice -n20 $CMD --quiet
    I thought the highest positive value for nice was 19.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Resource Hog: update-apt-xapi

Hallelujah, a Fix!

For anyone else bitten by this bug, the Launchpad discussion makes it clear that a fix exists and will be incorporated into Ubuntu at some point. For those impatient to get the fix working now, this post from the Launchpad thread includes the following:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

CMD=/usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index
    IONICE=/usr/bin/ionice

# Rebuild the index
    if [ -x $CMD ]
    then
    	if [ -x $IONICE ]
    	then
    		nice -n 19 $IONICE -c 3 $CMD --update --quiet
    	else
    		nice -n 19 $CMD --update --quiet
    	fi
    fi
    Fire up your favorite text editor with sudo, open the /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index file, and edit the contents to match the above.

What This Does

update-apt-xapian-index helps maintain an index of packages, and this helps speed up searching for packages in Synaptic, and possibly in other package managers as well.

cron is a utility for scheduling tasks to run at certain times. System tasks run weekly are, unsurprisingly, stored in the /etc/cron.weekly directory. You can also set up personal tasks to run pretty much whenever you want. For that, have a look at man crontab.

Looking at the internals of the code we're using here, the first line, the "crunchbang" line (#!), tells the system what executable to use to run the contents -- in this case, /bin/sh, or your basic shell.

The next two lines establish two shorthand variables. Variables in shell scripts are generally defined in ALL CAPS for easy readability. This is more of a best practice than any hard-and-fast requirement. When referenced later in the script, the variable names are prefixed with a $. Here, CMD is simply shorthand for the path to the update-apt-xapian-index binary, and IONICE is shorthand for the path to the ionice utility for getting or setting a process's I/O scheduling class and priority.

In the if statements, the -x checks to see if the next argument exists, so if [ -x $CMD ] will check to see if /usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index exists in the filesystem.

nice -n is basically how you assign a priority to a process. An important caveat, however, is that nice is just that -- a high nice value (up to a maximum of -n 19) means the process is nice and gets out of the way, and a low nice value (down to a minimum of -n -20) means the process is *not* nice and barges to the front of the line to be the first to use system resources. Niceness defaults to 10 if not otherwise specified, and apparently the default update-apt-xapian-index setup does not specify any value.

ionice is new in this fix. It works along similar lines, affecting a process's input/output niceness, only using the flag -c for "class". The ionice man page describes -c:
    -c class
    The scheduling class. 0 for none, 1 for real time, 2 for best-effort, 3 for idle.
    Finally, we have the two options passed to update-apt-xapian-index itself, --update and --quiet. --quiet just tells it to not generate much text, only outputting for fatal errors, which makes sense for a background process. --update is new here in this fix together with the nice value and the ionice prioritization, and is a real kicker: it tells update-apt-xapian-index to only update those items in the index that have actually changed. This seems like a no-brainer, since the index includes *every* package installed in the system, but unfortunately the default update-apt-xapian-index setup in a fresh install of Jaunty, Karmic, or Lucid all leave this option out, meaning that update-apt-xapian-index will rebuild the ENTIRE package index every time it runs. No wonder it eats up so much memory and CPU time! With --update, it should take much less resources and much less time.

----------

Hope this helps, folks!

Cheers,

-- Eiríkr
    Last edited by Eiríkr; May 20th, 2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Fixing markup typo

Beans

Hello ErikR -
    Thanks for your script - ran it successfully and the size of xapi/index1 came down by more than 20Mb.
    However - the 2 big files . .termlist.DB and postlist.DB still occupy more than 90Mb.

I'm trying to keep everything including a modest /home on a single partition of 4Gb in the interest of making USB sticks of this size or less.

Under what circumstances would it be possible to zap these 2 files ?
    perhaps when no apt work is anticipated immediately prior to preparing .iso images.
    or . .

Any help with this and the related issue of minimizing disk usage would be much appreciated.

I'm an EEE PC user planning an imminent move from Karmic to Lucid . .
    in the hope of performance improvements and the benefit of tieing in to a fresh LTS release.

i've put some work into my existing Ubuntu install based on 9.10 karmic nbr2 and am very happy with the results - full credit and thanks to all

First screenshots - more soon - of my work in progress at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoI4wRVVjBs

P.S.
    if anyone reading this knows how & when it is possible to create 'live' USB's with persistent storage from .iso images prepared with remastersys
    i just started a thread about this .. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1484555
    onwards and upwards - per ardua ad astral avenues . . .
    way up on . . ,
    http://ip.icefactory.heliohost.org
    /http://icefactory.heliohost.org/

Beans

Tagging so that I can easily find this later on.
    Anatomy of a Nerdgasm (my blog)
    Current PC's:
    Toshiba L650 Kubuntu 11.04
    Athlon MP 2800+ SMP Box - Windows XP pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast