Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Thank you psyke83. This is a great program. Something like this I tried to find desperatley.
    I found it because I had issues with the equalizer of my favorite music player Guayadeque and now it works so great and the sound is better.
    But one thing, when I move the volume controls in the panel the sound scratches a little. Within the player I havent got problems.
    Im using Mint 9 main edition on an HP Compaq 6730s.

Thanks very much for this program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mark465 View Post
    As a person who runs his Ubuntu 9.10 as root I find I get the message "This script must not be run as root!"

Is there a way for a root user to use pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk? Thank you!
    No offense, but running as root is pure insanity. If you're new to Ubuntu, I recommend you stop using root and do some research into how user permisisons work on Unix-based systems. If you're aware of the risks, etc. and it's a conscious choice, that's fine.

Edit "/usr/bin/pulseaudio-equalizer" and remove the section that does a check for root (searching for the term "root" should do). If you need further assistance as a result of the script not working from root, you'll need to look elsewhere, sorry.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ivanovnegro View Post
    Thank you psyke83. This is a great program. Something like this I tried to find desperatley.
    I found it because I had issues with the equalizer of my favorite music player Guayadeque and now it works so great and the sound is better.
    But one thing, when I move the volume controls in the panel the sound scratches a little. Within the player I havent got problems.
    Im using Mint 9 main edition on an HP Compaq 6730s.

Thanks very much for this program.
    The scratchy sound when changing volume is a byproduct of PulseAudio's LADSPA plugin, and my script can't really fix that, sorry.

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    The scratchy sound when changing volume is a byproduct of PulseAudio's LADSPA plugin, and my script can't really fix that, sorry.
    Ok, it doesnt matter because it works fine and I needed something like your plugin.

Beans

Thanks a lot!!! ... really!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is flabtastic!
    Windows: Where do you want to go today?
    MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
    Linux: Are you coming or what?!!

Beans
    Distro

In Maverick, I had to change line 362 of /usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py to

Code:
    	icon = self.window.set_icon_from_file("/usr/share/icons/Humanity/apps/16/gnome-volume-control.svg")
    (or other icon of your choice, I guess - I don't know where it appears!)
    to avoid

Code:
    File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 362, in __init__
        icon = self.window.set_icon_from_file("/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg")
    glib.GError: Failed to open file '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg': No such file or directory
    To err is human, but not uniquely so.

Beans

Well, It crashes here too on Fedora 14, since gnome-volume-control changed to multimedia-volume-control.

I may try to include a temporary fix for that, using a try/catch block, but the problem is in the desktop file which doesn't allow multiple icons.

I've used this before and upgraded to the latest. This is on 64 bit Kubuntu. Had to copy the icon, of course, and populate the presets directory.

Works fine when you start it up. But if you change and hit apply settings the pulseaudio server dies. Of course, it restarts, too, but with no equalizer. From the output it looks like it is when it is moving the active PA clients to the sink (maybe because they are already there? I dunno).

Anyway, makes it less usable. If there is any data I can collect to help narrow that down, ask.

>>>Update: Ok my fault. I guess reading your guide earlier I had used src-sinc-best-quality for resample. It used to work ok (I have a 4 core machine running just under 4GHz with 8G of RAM). So I don't know if it is a regression or I just had not noticed before but this caused some jitter and the preamp set <1 would go crazy. src-sinc-fastest and speex-float-5 both seem to work fine and clear up problems with Google voice, etc.

Thanks for all the great posts on Pulseaudio!
    Last edited by wd5gnr; September 7th, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

For information purposes to help resolve

I am running 10.10 Beta

I get the following trying to install

Code:
    sudo software-properties-gtk --enable-ppa=psyke83/ppa; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-equalizer

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk", line 102, in <module>
        app = SoftwarePropertiesGtk(datadir=data_dir, options=options, file=file)
    NameError: name 'data_dir' is not defined
    Thanks

Edit - FYI, bug report generated to Launchpad here
    Last edited by VastOne; September 7th, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Bug Report info

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast