Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Software to Limit Your Kids’ Online and/or Computer Time

Beans

Re: Linux Software to Limit Your Kids’ Online and/or Computer Time

What I'm looking for is a tool to limit time spend on computer or time spend on being online, not a content blocking tool, but thanks anyway.

For example: I'd like to limit daily time which can be spend on computer by user "David" to 4 hours and a time which can be spend online to half of this.
    Last edited by GrzegorzJZD; November 14th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sorry, I misunderstood this:

What's the 'limit your kids online' bit about? I thought you were addressing two separate issues.

Beans

@Bucky Ball: I'm not sure if this is my original thread title and talking about it is useless, don't You think so?

Look up #11, I think I did explain issue well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrzegorzJZD View Post
    What I'm looking for is a tool to limit time spend on computer or time spend on being online, not a content blocking tool, but thanks anyway.

For example: I'd like to limit daily time which can be spend on computer by user "David" to 4 hours and a time which can be spend online to half of this.
    Well, timekeepr can do the first half (limit the amount of time logged in daily), but as far as getting granular about what's done while logged in I doubt you'll find anything.

From a programming perspective, I'm not even sure how you'd define "online time" on a system like Ubuntu. Does that mean "time that an application capable of web browsing is running", or "time from the first http request", or "time that a web-browsing application is in focus on the desktop", or something else entirely? What do you do with programs like Konqueror, which can be a file manager or a web browser?

Anyway, that's going on a tangent. What you might find useful is a program that logs http requests so you can go back and see how much time is being spent online and where its being spent. I know Dansguardian logs all http requests, but probably there are programs with less overhead that do as well (probably any of the web proxies like squid or tinyproxy).

Beans

@lykwydchykyn: In most Windows application there is a customizable list of programs allowed to use internet connection (usually Web browsers, IM, e-mail clinets etc). If user uses them more than limit time he or she gets an information box, that online time is over for today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@osomphane: Thanks for psychological bµllshit. This is Ubuntu Forum and I was asking for a program name, not advices how to raise kids.
    Well said Grzegorz!
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@osomphane: Thanks for psychological bµllshit. This is Ubuntu Forum and I was asking for a program name, not advices how to raise kids.
    I agree with osomphane. You asked about a computer issue, and the answer is PEBCAK.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12