Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Hi Ayuthia,

I suppose it could be either of those two. I was able to run it concurrently with the script version and Tom Jaeger's wacomrotate without any problems. Of course that was because I hadn't disabled them yet to concentrate on testing.

The idea with the eraser line in Advanced is that, since the TX2z doesn't have one, you should remove it. Make the entry box blank in other words. Then the xsetwacom line for eraser won't (shouldn't) be applied. I've seen that generate a warning for other TX2z's.

The set of rotation/monitoring programs sounds interesting.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

Basically some more cosmetic changes. Before is now before After in the Advanced Settings in Setup. Hopefully that will prevent confusion when you are adding your commands.

The "pretty" icons are now included. Since the current theme is no longer used you have to ensure the icons are in the same directory as the rotation script. The old icon commands are still there so you can uncomment what you want and comment out the new icons.

And I may have gotten almost all of the spelling now.

Hopefully Red_Lion, you will approve.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

More Bezel Button Adventures

In case you haven't been following along, in addition to automatic rotation, Red_Lion has been investigating the missing bezel buttons. I told him my guess was the signals were going to hp-wmi like the swivel hinge.

Then he said in post #253 "bezel buttons parsing via PNP0C09 method _Q16." Then in post #255 he added "about bezel - last try in dsdt - need know what is ECON variable and what doing GBBV method. I not good in asl code." By the way my guess is the ECON variable refers to the embedded controller. You can see it at "/proc/acpi/embedded_controller/ECO".

If you are losing track the ACPI-WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) mapper device is PNP0C14. According to Microsoft's pnp device info. PNP0C09 is the Microsoft acpi-compatible embedded controller. What Red_Lion was saying is that from his DSDT it looked like my guess was wrong, the bezel button signals were suppose to go to PNP0C09 (ECO), not PNP0C14 (wmi/hp-wmi).

So I suggested he ask 67GTA for help. 67GTA has a great "HOW TO Fix a Buggy DSDT File" tutorial at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1036051 Red_Lion gave it a try and posted his DSDT on post #243 of that thread and asked:
    "Now need to search 2 buttons and remoute (after starn vista, hibernate it and back it's dead. Not know where search - in i8042 or acpi).

Please see line 4338 - when ECON is == One?
    Also - _Q16 on line 4586 and GBBV on 7929 - if i not mistake all events listed in _Q16 missed in GBBV and first can run only if ECON not true (if true GBBV save it to internal and blank)?

Also see please line 8681 QBTN device - how it work?

P.S. it's for tx2* tablets - we missing some buttons and think what they work via acpi - in i8042 in debug empty."
    67GTA very nicely recompiled Red_Lions DSDT and said:
    Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 18 Optimizations

I fixed a warning that kept the kernel from reading your CPU temps. It should run quieter/cooler.
    Well OK, cooler and quieter is good.

So I asked in post #261: "Starting at line 79 in the unpatched hp-wmi.c aren't these at least some of our Bezel Buttons? ...There isn't an exact one to one correspondence. But it seems quite a coincidence that there is the swivel hinge accompanied by 4 buttons in the hp-wmi keymap." In other words are you sure PNP0C14 doesn't play a role?

Ayuthia answers in post #262:
    ...but the codes there do correspond to buttons. However, they are not responding at this time (they should have appeared in the same events as the swivel /dev/input/eventX). So something is preventing it from appearing or else we do not have the correct code to register the button.

For my media button (the funky m-shaped button), it is being picked up by the keyboard instead of hp-wmi. My guess is that the Q-button is responding in the same manner. So my current thought is that the other buttons are most likely needing to be mapped to the keyboard source (drivers/input/keyboard/atkbd.c) somehow. I am not for sure if we are going to be able to find it in hp-wmi or not.
    Continued with my DSDT adventures.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

Bezel Buttons/DSDT Adentures Continued

A while ago I took a look at my DSDT. This was in response to a TX2500 user who said after he decompiled his DSDT and optimized it and recompiled it, it fixed his fan noise. Just like 67GTA told Red_Lion. I think that was on the TX2500 thread. So I decompiled my DSDT and recompiled it and got two warnings.
    /home/username/dsdt.dsl 2902: And (CTRL, 0x1E)
    Warning 1104 - Result is not used, operator has no effect ^

/home/username/dsdt.dsl 4260: Method (_Q16, 0, NotSerialized)
    Warning 1086 - Not all control paths return a value ^ (_Q16)

ASL Input: /home/username/dsdt.dsl - 8501 lines, 294472 bytes, 4487 keywords
    AML Output: dsdt.aml - 33822 bytes 856 named objects 3631 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 2 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 1248 Optimizations
    For the line # 4260 warning the fix was easy to locate. Several of the links 67GTA has to DSDT common errors and fixes sites show you how.

You just need to add to the end:
    Code:
    Return (0x00)
    Making it look like:
    Code:
                    Method (_Q16, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (QBBB, Local0)
                        If (LEqual (Local0, 0x03))
                        {
                            Notify (\_SB.MUBN, 0x02)
                            Return (0x00)
                        }

If (LEqual (Local0, 0x06))
                        {
                            Notify (\_SB.PIBN, 0x02)
                            Return (0x00)
                        }

If (LEqual (Local0, 0x12))
                        {
                            Notify (\_SB.LVBN, 0x02)
                            Return (0x00)
                        }

Store (0x04, \_SB.WMID.Z01C)
                        Store (0x00, \_SB.WMID.Z01D)
                        Notify (\_SB.WMID, 0x80)
                        Return (0x00)                <--- added that line
                    }
    The line #2902 was more obscure. I found the fix on a Chinese site. So I'm not totally confident of it but it seemed to work. You just change 'And (CTRL, 0x1E)' to 'And (CTRL, 0x1E, CTRL)'. Now when I recompiled it I got:
    ASL Input: /home/username/dsdt.dsl - 8502 lines, 294512 bytes, 4488 keywords
    AML Output: dsdt.aml - 33827 bytes 856 named objects 3632 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 1249 Optimizations
    Which seemed pretty sweet. But since things seemed OK I didn't actually take the next step and install the "optimized" DSDT. I couldn't see that it related to my thermals. And a little nervous about "bricking" my tablet I guess.

Remembering that Red_Lion said "bezel buttons parsing via PNP0C09 method _Q16" I took another look at my DSDT. Sure enough there it was, "_Q16", and lo and behold it was under PNP0C09, the Microsoft acpi-compatible embedded controller section. One of the very sections whose warning I had fixed.

Could this be the problem causing the disappearance of the two bezel buttons? I checked Red_Lion's DSDT and sure enough his TX2500 DSDT had the same error my TX2000 had, missing a line saying "Return (0x00)". And I'll bet the TX2z DSDT has the same error. Wow I thought, a possible eureka moment.

So I sucked it up and completed 67GTA's HOW TO and actually installed it and....

Nothing! The two bezel buttons still don't work. Can't detect anything. I guess I got carried away otherwise the TX2500 user would have mentioned the bezel buttons appearing. And I'm sure others have optimized their DSDT's also.

But maybe there is now a signal somewhere we could use? I could easily be looking at the wrong place or doing it wrong. So suggestions appreciated. As an aside "var/log/messages" says:
    input: HP WMI hotkeys as /devices/virtual/input/input10
    Last edited by Favux; August 20th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Beans

I've recently bought a touchsmart TX2z and have just set up the rotation script, it works very well! Haven't tried the little pygtk tool yet, the bash script seems to be working fine for me.

Another cool little tweak to add to the script if you use inverted/half rotation is to add this on the end so that the font rendering doesn't look like **** on the LCD:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/rgba_order bgr
    and for when it goes back:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/rgba_order rgb
    so my script is like this:

Code:
                      if [[ $new == "0" ]]; then
    				echo "Rotate to landscape, hide cellwriter."
    				xrandr -o normal 
    				xsetwacom set stylus rotate none
    				xsetwacom set eraser rotate none
    				xsetwacom set touch rotate none
    				cellwriter --hide-window
    				gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/rgba_order rgb
    			elif [[ $new == "4" ]]; then
    				echo "Rotate to portrait, show cellwriter."
    				xrandr -o inverted
    				xsetwacom set stylus rotate half
    				xsetwacom set eraser rotate half
    				xsetwacom set touch rotate half 
    				cellwriter --show-window
    				gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/rgba_order bgr
    			fi
    Thanks again for the script! I'm running the 2.6.30 kernel in jaunty but I still haven't found the right wacom drivers or patches yet for the touch and stylus to work *keeps rummaging the forums*

Actually for portrait it might work well if you set the rgba_order to vrgb or vbgr, depending on if you're left or right handed, haven't tried but it might work well!

Beans
    Distro

Hi MistaED,

Thanks for sharing the font rendering tips.

If you look at Appendix 2 at the bottom of the Rotation HOW TO on the first page it has the xorg.conf and links to Ayuthia's kernel deb.s or kernel compiling HOW TO that will get you set up.

Beans

I feel like such an idiot Favux! What I've been doing is hacking that kludge of a file xorg.conf when in fact I should have just been hacking the fdi file so hal manages it all! I'm getting far better results by hacking that file instead!

I had this weird bug where the stylus and touch settings never really did anything and there was no pressure sense for gimp or inkscape but xournal and zbrush under wine would have pressure sense...

Are there detailed forum posts on the best fdi hacks or should I just get in there and start putting in the xorg conf settings but in xml-style? If I could get touch to either work or not stuff up the stylus, then I'll be over the moon!

Thanks Favux!

Beans
    Distro

Hi MistaED,

Your welcome. Ayuthia and I spent a fair amount of time trying to get the .fdi to give us touch in addition to the stylus. It starts at post #164 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...038898&page=17 and goes on for a few pages. As a matter of fact a couple of pages before that Keeper of the Keys and I also tried. There are a bunch of sample .fdi's scattered in there. Maybe you can figure it out.

So far as I know the only way to get touch is to use the "TX2z & XT xorg.conf" attached to the bottom of the Rotation HOW TO on the first page of this thread. And Appendix 2 has the link's to Ayuthia's stuff.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

Here's Magick Rotation 0.2-4.

Basically some more cosmetic improvements. I did rename a few things. So if you have a previous version save your line commands in Advanced Settings in a text file so you can copy and paste them into this version.

Download the attachment onto your desktop. Extract it. Open the Magick Rotation 0.2-4 folder. Drag and drop the applet and two icons onto 'yourusername' in the left column of Places (/home/yourusername). To install right click on 'magick-rotation-0.2-4' and select Properties. Then click on the Permissions tab. Check "Allow executing file as a program" and close. Now double click on 'magick-rotation-0.2-4' and choose Run. The applet is installed.

If you have installed a previous version:

If you check your /home/username/ directory you'll see that tx2_rotation-0.x has been renamed magick-rotation-0.2-4. Notice that the program is now grouped with the two icons.

To prevent the old version from reloading when you restart go to System > Preferences > Sessions or Startup Applications. You'll see two entries that say Magick Rotation etc.. Click on one and then click on edit. The one that has /home/username/tx2_rotation-x in the Command box is the old version. Close Edit and click on Remove. You may want to remove the old version.

The .conf file has also been renamed to magick-rotation.conf. The old .conf file is called .tx2xxx.conf (/home/username/.tx2xxx.conf). You can leave it in place if you like. That way if you decide to go back to your old version your configuration is still there. To see either click "Show Hidden Files" in View in Places.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Favux; August 23rd, 2009 at 11:18 PM.

Beans

thanks favux!
    HP Touchsmart Tx2 Tablet - 2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core - 4GB RAM - 250GB HD - ATI Radeon HD 3200 - Widescreen Integrated Touch-screen - Ubuntu 9.04 -Ayuthia's custom .DEB

Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast