Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invert fullscreen and Window Borders

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Invert fullscreen and Window Borders

I'm currently on a Gateway LT1004 with a broken screen. It was dropped by its previous owner, and now the screens colors are inverted. I am using Ubuntu 9.04, and using the "Negative" filter for Compiz to "fix" the problem. It works perfectly except for the desktop, anything in fullscreen, and the borders of windows.

As for the desktop, I found there was an "Exclude list" which included the desktop, so I removed that, and it fixed that issue. However, I now am sitting here with the borders of all windows still inverted (Blue-ish instead of orange, with black text, white shadows, and inverted icons) and the inability to go fullscreen without THAT reverting back to being inverted.

Is there a fix to make it invert EVERYTHING?

Yes, I do know the "easy" solution would be to replace the screen, but as I wish to not waste money when it's only a minor inconvenience, I'll try for a software solution first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Invert fullscreen and Window Borders

I've tried to figure out how to invert window borders as well, with no luck. I guess you could try messing around with it anyway, using values like "type=metacity" or stuff like that, but I haven't had any luck
    Don't forget to give thanks and mark your thread as solved

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rainwalker View Post
    I've tried to figure out how to invert window borders as well, with no luck. I guess you could try messing around with it anyway, using values like "type=metacity" or stuff like that, but I haven't had any luck
    Thanks, but it already has set for which ones TO invert as "any"... So shouldn't that already include that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wizardfait View Post
    Thanks, but it already has set for which ones TO invert as "any"... So shouldn't that already include that?
    Yeah, that's why I haven't had any luck. Unfortunately, setting that value to "metacity" specifically doesn't help either.

I'll post back if I figure anything out, though.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, that's why I haven't had any luck. Unfortunately, setting that value to "metacity" specifically doesn't help either.

I'll post back if I figure anything out, though.
    Okay, thank you. Just wondering, are you in the same predicament I am? Or just wanted to invert it for another reason?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wizardfait View Post
    Okay, thank you. Just wondering, are you in the same predicament I am? Or just wanted to invert it for another reason?
    I'm not in the same predicament, but I use the invert feature to darken my screen at night. It used to include the window borders; I don't know what changed in Jaunty

Beans
    Distro

I'm not in the same predicament, but I use the invert feature to darken my screen at night. It used to include the window borders; I don't know what changed in Jaunty
    Maybe the window border "manager" has changed the way it draws to the screen.

In the "Other versions" that DID do the borders, did it also work in fullscreen?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Two thoughts. You could either pick/create/modify a theme so that it already has the colours inverted, so that they would look normal on your screen. You could possibly use gnome-color-chooser for this, to make it simpler. Or, if you have the requisite skills, you could get the source code for the neg plugin, and do what this patch did to the 0.8 branch, recompile and install. (As an alternative to this second suggestion, you could file a bug report asking that this patch be applied to the master branch, which might not happen, and would probably take a while if it did.)

With the fullscreen thing; there's an option for "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" in the General section of CCSM. You'll probably want this unchecked, so that fullscreen windows still go through Compiz.

Actually, while I was researching the Negative plugin, I found this little titbit of information, so you can probably ignore everything that I wrote above:

Workaround if unsupported xcalib can be used if the "Negative" filter is not supported by your hardware or driver. To invert the screen palette with xcalib:

• xcalib -i -a

Please note that xcalib is not part of Compiz Fusion.
    That does probably count as "a fix to make it invert EVERYTHING."
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think it's some change with compiz, actually. I don't think metacity changes that much, but compiz definitely is. I could be wrong though.
    In Intrepid and before, everything but the desktop would invert, including window borders. It worked in fullscreen, only on specific windows, all that stuff. You can still do the specific windows, but I don't get why the window borders aren't included, especially since compiz composites the window decorations as well (with the "Window Decorations" plugin).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    With the fullscreen thing; there's an option for "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" in the General section of CCSM.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I still need to try that x-whatever lib thing, but even if that doesn't work, this fullscreen fix is EXACTLY what I needed as a minimum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast