Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install HP Printers for Beginners

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install HP Printers for Beginners

this guide rocks even to those totally noob to linux. i manage to install hp 900 inkjet printer on my xp and ubuntu workstations. thanks so much~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am using Ubuntu 8.10. Two of my HP printers do not print anything off of the web correctly (DeskJet 9800 and PhotoSmart 6280) and one does not print at all. My LaserJet 3700dn will not do anything. I have downloaded the hplip without success. I have tried un-installing and reinstalling as well as all of the things listed at the beginning of this HOWTO post. I have also tried different USB cables as well as an Ethernet cable, nothing works. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by cctaber; April 17th, 2009 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks, i had been alarmed by the "If you do not install the plugins, your printer will not work" message, and was stupid enough to omit the step of setting up the printer--i actually thought "install missing plug-ins" would take care of the problem, by itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This worked great, especially for a noob like me. Just one thing - if you're installing a LaserJet 1020 and can't get it to work, try changing the default printer to LaserJet 1020-2. Turns out that was the printer I have, despite that not being what it says on the casing. After installing HPLIP off Synaptics, then the more up-to-date version straight from the site, I was amazed to find something as innocuous as that was the problem!

So, if when it's checking your usb it "finds" a LaserJet 1020, but you can't get it to work, just see if switching to 1020-2 makes any difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That's a great HOWTO. Worked like greased magic. Mucho thanks

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thumbs down HP-Officejet-6500-e709n

I am able to print with this printer,using a wireless connection to my router and so far seems to work ok, but the HP Toolbox will not detect my printer. It keeps saying that it is not installed using the CUPS backend.
    "HP-Officejet-6500-e709n
    -----------------------
    Type: Unknown
    Installed in HPLIP?: No, not using the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend.
    Device URI: socket://192.168.1.106:9100
    PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-Officejet-6500-e709n.ppd
    PPD Description: HP Officejet 6500 e709n hpijs, 3.9.2
    Printer status: printer HP-Officejet-6500-e709n is idle. enabled since Sun 16 Aug 2009 09:55:25 AM EDT
    warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend to function in HPLIP.

The complete hp-check -t is attached.

The only reason I am going through this is I am a perfectionist freak and want to use all the features that the printer has.

edit: found the answer at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...detect+printer

I installed the python GTK2 dev (I think that was what is was) from synaptic and got the newest version of hplip (3.9.6) to install and now the printer is listed properly. It took a couple of hours and several searches but I found the answer.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by colin.p; August 16th, 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: solved, at least for me

Beans

Lightbulb HP printer Installation Wizard for your Linux ( Boss,Debian,Fedora, ubuntu, suse

See HP printer Installation Wizard for your Linux ( Boss,Debian,Fedora, ubuntu, suse .. )... for an easy and more successful installation of your hp printers in linux..

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Install HP Printers for Beginners

Hi,

I've just started using UBUNTU on my new dell mini9 laptop.
    I tried to connect my printer (hp laserjet 6L) to my netbook but it does not detect it. and it asks for device URI which I don't know what it is.

I have only USB port on my laptop and I'm using the latest version of UBUNTU 9.10

I'll appreciate if somebody helps me.

Thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soheilsh View Post
    Hi,

I've just started using UBUNTU on my new dell mini9 laptop.
    I tried to connect my printer (hp laserjet 6L) to my netbook but it does not detect it. and it asks for device URI which I don't know what it is.

I have only USB port on my laptop and I'm using the latest version of UBUNTU 9.10

I'll appreciate if somebody helps me.

Thank you
    Have you tried all of the steps in the first post?

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast