Thread: Setting fixed fps in opengl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Setting fixed fps in opengl

Im wondering if it would be better to use glutGet(GLUT_ELAPSED_TIME) or some more basic time counter for setting fixed frames/second.

I have no experience with game development but Im currently making a simple 3d game which will be my first step towards making a small linux game sometime in the future.

How I would do things is if I'd want 100 frames per second:

Code:
    create timer

loop begins

execute calculations
       draw objects
       wait until timer gets to 0.1 seconds
       set timer to 0

end loop
    I have been looking at tutorials but I only find them for windows (#include windows.h)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Setting fixed fps in opengl

This is normally a bad idea. Rather try to take the current time before the computation of each frame. Then perform movements and stuff relative to the difference between the last frame's time and the current frame's time. Here comes a pseudo-code example:

Code:
    current_time = time()
    do:
       last_time = current_time
       current_time = time()
       timeDiff = current_time - last_time

object_x_pos += SPEED * timeDiff

draw_object()
    until end_of_program
    This way, your program will run smooth under all refresh rates and will not slow down when the user's gfx card can only do 50 fps, for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I would do it with a while loop running the game then a while loop outside for rendering

Code:
    #define FPS_WANTED 100

int NewTime, LastTime

while GameRunning == true

{
         while (NewTime < LastTime + (1000/FPS_WANTED))
            {
             NewTime = getTime in milliseconds or something
             Do all the other stuff with no max speed
             }

DoRenderFuction()
         lastTime = getTime 
    }
    if I haven't missed something then you should only reach the render function once every 1/100 of a second = 100FPS (max)

if you're doing it in C++ then you might need to add a if function checking seconds and adding 1000 to NewTime if needed since the sys/time.h loops the "under 1sec" measure, might want to devide it as well since it's goes +1 every 1/1 000 000 sec = milliseconds (easier to work with)

EDIT:
    Post above might be better, but then again you can just turn my example around and put the render in the second loop and switch it around a bit.
    Last edited by Ferrat; February 23rd, 2009 at 05:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you Zugzwang, thank you very much
    I actually had in mind doing another loop which would make sure I could draw fewer frames than... 100fps for an instance. But it would take few more calculations per frame
    but man your way is so much better and cleaner code

I forgot to say I am most comfortable with C++, but assumed naming GLUT and #include was clear enough indication of C/C++.

But my real struggle would be deciding weather to use → <time.h>
    or that is included into the → <GL/glut.h>

I have used the glut library in the past for calculating fps but somehow I would assume it takes more calculation time than if I'd rely on <time.h>

any inputs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not sure about the performance, if your app is very heavy then might be worth making two functions with the same name (should be fairly easy and fast), one using time.h and one gluts way,comment one out then later on when you are tweaking in the end you can benchmark the two and pick the one working best with your code?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Fixed FPS is not a good idea: http://dewitters.koonsolo.com/gameloop.html
    This is the best article I've ever read on this issue. It investigates different implementations of time management in game loops. 4th one is the way to go.

Also, this one is a good read too: http://gafferongames.com/game-physic...your-timestep/