Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8.04, USB DRIVE permission problems

Beans

Re: 8.04, USB DRIVE permission problems

Quote Originally Posted by HousieMousie2 View Post
    I get the same dialog box "System policy prevents mounting internal media"
    This happens on one machine I use, but other Hardy machines don't have the problem.

Does the command "polkit-auth" show nothing? Try running as root:

polkit-auth --user user --grant org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable

Now "polkit-auth" should show you have the the authorization to mount removable media, and in fact I can. That may or may not be useful to you depending on how often you reboot, of course.

It's a puzzle, though, that in /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy the error message "System policy prevents mounting internal media" is for fixed, not removable media.

For a workaround which survives reboots, you could try changing /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf to include:

<match user="user">
    <return result="yes"/>
    </match>

See "man PolicyKit.conf". I haven't tried this, though.

Of course, anyone using either of these suggestions should think through the security implications.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for the suggestion.

I added the drive to the etc/fstab file and set the permissions for that drive. Works now, no password prompts... Amarok has no issues getting media off of the other drive.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - That principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Beans

Well, I've just rebooted after a whole load of updates appeared a few days ago, and everything's fine now. I don't get prompted for my password when I plug in a disk, and polkit-auth shows I have a full complement of authorizations.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hewson View Post
    This happens on one machine I use, but other Hardy machines don't have the problem.

Does the command "polkit-auth" show nothing? Try running as root:

polkit-auth --user user --grant org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable

Now "polkit-auth" should show you have the the authorization to mount removable media, and in fact I can. That may or may not be useful to you depending on how often you reboot, of course.

It's a puzzle, though, that in /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy the error message "System policy prevents mounting internal media" is for fixed, not removable media.

For a workaround which survives reboots, you could try changing /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf to include:

<match user="user">
    <return result="yes"/>
    </match>

See "man PolicyKit.conf". I haven't tried this, though.

Of course, anyone using either of these suggestions should think through the security implications.
    This ALMOST solved a problem that had been bugging me for months. I had the mount-removable permission already, but when I added the mount-fixed, I was once again able to mount USB drives. thank you for helping to solve this Major headache.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12