Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Wireless works for WPA but not WEP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question [SOLVED] Wireless works for WPA but not WEP

I can connect to WPA networks just fine using:

Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)

But, for some reason, no matter what I try, it doesn't work for WEP. My coworker is running the same version of Ubuntu, and we copied the settings exactly, but I still can't connect (and he can). Meanwhile, at home, I can connect just fine to my WPA network, as I can to other WPA networks I've found.
    Last edited by Sydius; July 1st, 2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Problem solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless works for WPA but not WEP

What kind of encryption are you trying to connect to WEP 64 or WEP 128?
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

WEP 64, with a hex key

Beans
    Distro

Someone suggested this on the web https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...70/comments/65 Check out the link if changing from WEP 64 to WEP 128 doesn't fix your issue.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unfortunately, I cannot switch the network to 128-bit, since it is a large company network and I don't have permission, unless that's not what you meant.

As for the trick on that page, I just tried it (I don't understand what it did, so I just followed the directions exactly), and it didn't fix the problem.

When I try to select the network in the upper-right thing, it will switch to the icon of two gray circles, as if it were connecting, but they never blink green like they do when a connection is working--they stay gray forever, and it eventually (after a very long time) asks me for the password again.

Beans
    Distro

No what I meant was to switch the way that your computer connects to the network WEP 64 to WEP 128 not the changing the Router's options.
    Just a shot in the dark , there is also something called MAC Address Filter in most routers which basically doesn't let anybody connect to the network if they don't have a MAC Address from a list. So maybe your company has not added you to their MAC Address list.
    Also something that you can do is to convert your Wireless Network in your house to WEP and try to connect to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Alright, I'll try changing to WEP when I get home, and see if that makes any difference. As for the 128 idea, there's only the option for 128/64, and I suppose it chooses which of the two you mean by the length of the key you provide. I'll also verify that the company doesn't use mac address filtering (I don't think they do).

Beans
    Distro

Ok then try that and tell me how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I went home and switched my wireless router from WPA to WEP, and my work laptop could no longer connect under Ubuntu. I also verified that my workplace does not check MAC addresses.

The same laptop works fine when booted into Windows at work--it can connect to the WEP network.

Also, after following the previous steps on the other site, my eth0 seems to have disappeared, though maybe I just don't know what I'm doing (I haven't done anything except the measures listed in this thread, though).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I couldn't use WEP on my wireless card (never tried WPA) but installed the drivers from here and now it works fine:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

The way mine behaved beforehand was as described, with the grey circles appearing to try to connect, but not getting any further than the password prompt. Something it also did, which was solved with these drivers, was that every network appeared as 100% reception.

If this works for you, bear in mind that every time you upgrade your kernel you'll have to reinstall the drivers, so you should keep the source code on your machine. I reckon there'll be a way round this, but I don't know what it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast