Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compiz plugins keep unchecking themselves in hardy

Beans

Compiz plugins keep unchecking themselves in hardy

I have a dell 1420n w 7.10 preinstalled and compiz ran perfectly. I recently upgraded to hardy which went flawlessly as far as I can tell. I just realized however that whenever I go into the advanced desktop effects settings I can enable cube and rotate cube but if I try to enable most anything else(like animations, 3d windows, cube caps, etc.) it will uncheck itself as I'm looking at it after only a second or two. I've search google, ubuntu forums and compiz-fusion forum and can't find anything pertaining to this issue. Any one else have this issue and/or know how to fix it? This is really annoying.

p.s. my laptop has the nvidia 8000 series upgrade dell offers.

Beans

Re: Compiz plugins keep unchecking themselves in hardy

I have a similar problem but, only the 3D plugin unchecks itself. One thing to check is that you have selected "Custom Effects" in the new Ubuntu’s default Compiz desktop effects...it may help.

Beans

If you're using ccsm to configure stuff (compizconfig-settings-manager), go into preferences, export your profile, change backend to flat-file and import the profile again. Should help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Karibbe View Post
    I have a similar problem but, only the 3D plugin unchecks itself. One thing to check is that you have selected "Custom Effects" in the new Ubuntu’s default Compiz desktop effects...it may help.
    I don't see where to select custom effects... It offers none, normal, or extra.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    If you're using ccsm to configure stuff (compizconfig-settings-manager), go into preferences, export your profile, change backend to flat-file and import the profile again. Should help.
    although I didn't export and import my profile I did try changing it to flat-file and it did the same thing as with backend.

Beans

I've got the same problem you have after upgrading from gusty to hardy. Most of the plugins uncheck themselves if I check them.

I read somewhere that removing .compiz in the home directory if it's there helps, but it didn't work for me.

My jpeg plugin doesn't work either so I have to use png images for my backgrounds, but for some reason, the picture quality is very poor.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Same problem here. Nothing I've tried has worked.

Beans

I figured out how to select custom under apearance. I had to install simpleccsm. However, even though I can now set the appearance to custom, whether I use the original settings manager or the simple settings manager it does not effect anything.

Beans

From the ground up, then.

Export your profile in CCSM so you have it saved someplace. Go into Software Sources and make sure that you don't have any third-party repositories enabled. Then enter the following.
    Code:
    $ sudo aptitude update
    $ sudo aptitude clean
    $ sudo aptitude purge ~ncompiz ~nemerald ~nlibdeco ~nberyl
    $ rm -r ~/.compiz     # gets rid of your compiz settings completely
    $ sudo aptitude install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager emerald
    Then start up compiz and see if it works. If so, go ahead and import your profile again.

Beans

Thanks Zorael...it worked. I lost the wallpaper plugin (which I'll reinstall now), but I can now check the 3D plugin and it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast