Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fullscreen games Alt-Tab/Minimize?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Fullscreen games Alt-Tab/Minimize?

Is there any way to minimize or move to another workspace from a full screen game? Its annoying if I want to send a message via irc, check on some other process, change a setting etc... while playing a full screen game as the only thing I can do is exit the game, which isn't very viable is many situations.

Ubuntu 7.04 Gnome/Metacity
    ATI 9800 Pro 128MB with ATI closed sourced drivers
    Last edited by Hellcom; June 1st, 2007 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Fullscreen games Alt-Tab/Minimize?

look up etswitch or xgame/xgame-gtk2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I installed etswitch, but I can't figure out how it works (hotkeys, etc...) as I can't find any documentation other than how to compile and install. Xgame looks really promising, but it doesn't look like the project exists anymore:

http://xgame.tlhiv.com/

Can anyone help me further?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hellcom View Post
    I installed etswitch, but I can't figure out how it works (hotkeys, etc...) as I can't find any documentation other than how to compile and install. Xgame looks really promising, but it doesn't look like the project exists anymore:

http://xgame.tlhiv.com/

Can anyone help me further?
    It's either Control+Z or Alt+Z, I forgot which (while ETswitch is running, of course - should be under Applications-->Games or probably could be run with "etswitch").
    Each game usually has its own "minimizing" key combination. For instance, in UT2004 I use ALT+ENTER and then Control+G. In WINE I have to press PrintScreen, although ETSwitch may work with WINE also. I havn't reinstalled ETswitch so I'm not sure.
    Currently favorite songs:
    Miss Hyde, This Song Is About Monsters, Masagin, I Will Try to Blow it Out, La Resistance
    Visit www.cherrypeel.com for more free indie music =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
    It's either Control+Z or Alt+Z, I forgot which (while ETswitch is running, of course - should be under Applications-->Games or probably could be run with "etswitch").
    Each game usually has its own "minimizing" key combination. For instance, in UT2004 I use ALT+ENTER and then Control+G. In WINE I have to press PrintScreen, although ETSwitch may work with WINE also. I havn't reinstalled ETswitch so I'm not sure.
    So it only works with the games supported? That sucks, as the game I currently play the most is not on that list :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

here's the xgame scripts

there's a how-to here you have to follow first to be able to start a new xserver
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I'm not sure about minimizing to the desktop, but I use ctrl+alt+TAB to open the top/bottom panel of my GDE from witihin World of Warcraft. it works without installing anything else on Ubuntu.

What I do then is I open the program I want to open from the menus or click on the "show desktop" shortcut (bottom left) if I need to run a shortcut on the desktop. So far it has worked for me. Maybe try it on your game and report back if it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm having a similar problem. Alt+enter works for Warsow but it only puts the game in window mode. I can't chage to another window.

Any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There isn't any gamer who likes to minimize his games?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hello?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast