Thread: man stopped working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

man stopped working

I really dont know how to even begin troubleshooting this, but my man files stopped working. I can find them, they're all still there, but when i type "man command-of-interest", i get

No manual entry for command-of-interest
    See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

I figured i'd check here because maybe one of the recent updates somehow effected this. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: man stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by makhand
    Any ideas?
    Code:
    man -d command-of-interest
    might be a good start.
    "Being a social outcast helps you stay concentrated on the really important things, like thinking and hacking." - Eric S. Raymond

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for that.,
    using
    HTML Code:
    man -d command-of-interest
    showed the debug info. From this i was able to deduce that my MANPATH variable had been tampered with by the program 'alltray'. Basically, it redirected my MANPATH to

/home/user/.local/share/man

because it didnt recognize my system password and installed itself in my home directory.

Anyway, if anyone ever finds this, I was able to fix it by simply doing this:
    HTML Code:
    export MANPATH=""
    This made my $MANPATH variable blank, forcing the shell to go to the /etc/manpath.config for the manpath (as i understand).

sjmorgan, thanks for the help

Beans

hi,

seems to be a autopackage bug. if you can reproduce it please report it to

http://www.autopackage.org/

jebe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jebe
    hi,

seems to be a autopackage bug. if you can reproduce it please report it to

http://www.autopackage.org/

jebe
    Yes, it's an autopackage bug, is fixed in the upcoming 1.0.5 release (will be released in a few days).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mhearn
    Yes, it's an autopackage bug, is fixed in the upcoming 1.0.5 release (will be released in a few days).
    Which part is the bug? The fact that it wrecks the manpath or the fact that it doesn't recognize/accept my root password?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by makhand
    Which part is the bug? The fact that it wrecks the manpath or the fact that it doesn't recognize/accept my root password?
    Both.

The MANPATH problem is actually that this variable has weird semantics: if set it completely overrides the config file instead of augmenting it like most other FOO_PATH vars do. The fix is to never set MANPATH, as modern man implementations can locate man pages for any program in the regular PATH that follow the FHS anyway.

I am not sure which root bug you are referring to there, but 1.0.4 was missing a helper binary that was needed for the autopackage sudo support to work correctly. That's fixed in 1.0.5 as well.

Beans

OK, we release 1.0.5, which fixes both of these bugs (though you need to remove the export MANPATH line yourself).

To upgrade, run

"package remove autopackage-gtk autopackage"

then install something like you did the first time (by running it). It'll re-download the latest support code.