Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: mplayerplug-in 2.85 for Hoary

Beans

HOWTO: mplayerplug-in 2.85 for Hoary

As you might know mplayerplug-in is a handy Mozilla/Firefox plugin for streaming media contents on webpages. Currently Hoary has the quite aged version 2.70 of this plugin. Since that version things have changed significantly - now mplayerplug-in is one of the best option for viewing streaming video on web pages under Linux.

Here is how to compile it under Hoary:

NOTE:
    I have enabled the following repositories (see ubuntuguide.org on how to do it):
    main
    restricted
    universe
    multiverse
    hoary-backports

Because I have backports enabled I am able to install mplayer and the latest Mozilla browser (Hoary's Mozilla is 1.7.6 while backports has the latest stable 1.7.8 which I use). This guide is based on Mozilla 1.7.8 - I don't know if it is working with the 1.7.6.

1. Set up mplayer & w32codecs
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer w32codecs
    2. Grab latest mplayerplug-in source from here:
    Code:
    wget http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mplayerplug-in/mplayerplug-in-2.85.tar.gz
    3. Untar the mplayerplug-in source
    Code:
    tar -xvzf mplayerplug-in-2.85.tar.gz
    4. Prepare dependencies for the build:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mozilla-dev libxpm-dev libgtk2.0-dev
    5. Grab gecko-sdk from here:
    Code:
    wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.7.8/gecko-sdk-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.8.tar.gz
    6. Untar gecko-sdk:
    Code:
    tar -xvzf gecko-sdk-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.8.tar.gz
    7. Compile mplayerplug-in:
    Code:
    cd mplayerplug-in
    ./configure --with-gecko-sdk=../gecko-sdk
    make
    8. the "make install" (you should remove the old mozilla-mplayer package prior this step!)
    Code:
    sudo cp mplayerplug-in.so /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
    sudo cp mplayerplug-in.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/components
    sudo cp mplayerplug-in.types /etc
    sudo cp mplayerplug-in.conf /etc
    9. Prepare the config file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf
    Edit it like this:
    Code:
    #debug=0
    #logfile=$HOME/mpp.log
    vo=xv,x11
    ao=esd,oss,arts
    #download=1
    #dload-dir=$HOME/tmp
    #keep-download=0
    #noembed=0
    cachesize=1024
    #use-mimetypes=0
    #enable-real=0
    #enable-wm=1
    #enable-qt=1
    #enable-mpeg=1
    #enable-ogg=1
    #enable-smil=1
    #qt-speed=med
    #rtsp-use-tcp=0
    #nomediacache=0
    #framedrop=0
    #autosync=0
    #mc=1
    #black-background=0
    #user-agent=NSPlayer
    As you see we've changed "vo" to "xv,x11", "ao" to "esd,oss,arts" and "cachesize" to "1024".

10. Restart Firefox and there you are!!!
    Last edited by drigloi; August 18th, 2005 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: HOWTO: mplayerplug-in 2.85 for Hoary

Thx, works great!

Knome_fan Guest

Hi, first off, thanks for the nice howto.

Inspired by it I took a look at the available debian packages and found out that the mozilla-mplayer source package for 2.85 is available. So I figuered it would be nice to use this to install mozilla-mplayer (which is the debian name for the mplayerplug-in).

So, here it goes.

1. Get the needed files

Get the files you need on the debian page:
    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/co...-in_2.85-1.dsc
    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/co...85.orig.tar.gz
    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/co...2.85-1.diff.gz

and download them to one directory.

2. Get the needed dependencies

Now get all the dependencies you need by running:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep mozilla-mplayer
    This should install all you need for building and installing mplayerplug-in, with one exception I will get to in a second. (Note, I'm assuming here that you have enabled all the repositories that drigloi mentions)

Now on to the missing dependency. We are going to build mplayerplug-in with gtk2 support, as it looks nicer and will give us nice controls. To be able to do this, we'll have to install the gtk2 development files:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    Finally, install fakeroot as we are going to use it later on. (We don't exactly need it, it is simply a tool that will allow us to do things as a normal user normally only root would be able to do)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot
    3. Build the package

If you haven't already done it, change to the directory to which you downloaded the debian files and unpack the source with:
    Code:
    dpkg-source -x mplayerplug-in_2.85-1.dsc
    This will unpack mplayerplug-in_2.85.orig.tar.gz to mplayerplug-in-2.85.

Now change into the newly created mplayerplug-in-2.85 directory and edit the file debian/rules:
    Code:
    gedit debian/rules
    Change the line:
    DEB_CONFIGURE_EXTRA_FLAGS := --enable-x

to

DEB_CONFIGURE_EXTRA_FLAGS := --enable-gtk2

and save the file.

Finally we are ready to start to build the package with:
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
    4. Install the package
    If everything went well you now should have a package called mozilla-mplayer_2.85-1_i386.deb in the parent directory of your current directory, that is in ../mplayerplug-in-2.85.
    Change to that directory (cd ..) and install the package with:
    sudo dpkg -i mozilla-mplayer_2.85-1_i386.deb

That's it.
    All that's left to do is to edit /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf the way drigloi describes it and you should be good to go.

Have fun!

Beans

Thanks aja laa

Beans

This works perfectly for me with Mozilla 1.7.8. Firefox 1.02 still crashes if I try to use the mplayer plugin however. Is there a way to make this work with Firefox - or should it already be working at this point? Thanks.
    Registered Linux User: #182084 - July 2000
    http://counter.li.org/ | Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04

Knome_fan Guest

I know this doesn't really help, but for what it's worth, I also did have problems with mplayerplug-in and firefox in ubuntu, no matter what version of the plugin I'm using. It works fine with epiphany for me though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    I know this doesn't really help, but for what it's worth, I also did have problems with mplayerplug-in and firefox in ubuntu, no matter what version of the plugin I'm using. It works fine with epiphany for me though.
    I think I will use mozilla because i test a lot of plugin with firefox (VLC, gxine, totem, ...) and for the moment best plugin is mplayer-plugin and it still not work with firefox .
    I'm waiting for the official totem plugin or mplayer compatibility with firefox.
    Thanks for this very good HOW TO.

Beans

Great HOWTO, thanks! I now have very nice streaming video!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crashtest
    This works perfectly for me with Mozilla 1.7.8. Firefox 1.02 still crashes if I try to use the mplayer plugin however. Is there a way to make this work with Firefox - or should it already be working at this point? Thanks.
    Can you describe me this Firefox crash problem? I use Backport's new 1.0.4 Firefox and haven't experienced any crashes with mplayerplug-in yet.

But it's true that previously I experienced lockups with mplayerplug-in 2.80 and Firefox 1.0.2 while watching streaming video and pressing the browser's Back button. Is this the issue you're referring to?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drigloi
    Can you describe me this Firefox crash problem? I use Backport's new 1.0.4 Firefox and haven't experienced any crashes with mplayerplug-in yet.

But it's true that previously I experienced lockups with mplayerplug-in 2.80 and Firefox 1.0.2 while watching streaming video and pressing the browser's Back button. Is this the issue you're referring to?
    I have since upgraded to the 1.0.4 version, but when I had Firefox 1.0.2 running it would just close if I tired to use the mplayerplug-in. Even with Mozilla 1.7.8 the behavior is a little odd - videos will play, but if I click the 'x' to close mplayer, mozilla will instantly close.

Now here's another odd thing: I've tried the mplayerplug-in to watch the news videos on CNN.com. Mozilla let's me play the videos, but Firefox 1.0.4 pops up "Plugin Warning" telling me I need to install Windows Media Player 9. So at this point I need a site to test Firefox 1.0.4 with the mplayerplug-in. Any suggestions for a site to try?

I wonder how Mozilla beats the Microsoft Censorship and lets me play the CNN videos? Maybe it's just how the browser identifies itself. I'll have to take a look at this.
    Registered Linux User: #182084 - July 2000
    http://counter.li.org/ | Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast