Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Series 7 Chronos Ubuntu Install

Beans

Post Samsung Series 7 Chronos Ubuntu Install

This thread was originally started to fix a Samsung Series 7 Chronos boot install. But there's a bunch of other issues I encountered therefore I'm turning this into a general thread for the device issues on Ubuntu.

Boot Issues:
    How to boot from USB on a Samsung Series 7 Chronos:
    First go into BIOS and enable legacy devices boot. Save changes, reboot, press esc at startup screen, then you should see your USB. If this doesn't work, Make sure you not plugging the USB into the USB 3.0 Port (blue port). If you want that port to work anyways boot into windows, and install the drivers for USB 3.0

How to Boot into Ubuntu on a Samsung Series 7 chronos:
    If you already booted into windows and enabled the option to allow you to fast boot into Windows, you just enabled UEFI, and created a gpt partition for booting into machine. Try the troubleshooting steps from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...stalling_GRUB2 , you will most likely have issues and error messages similar to this post and this is why. You can either [disable UEFI from BIOS, use FixParts to remove GPT partition all together] or you can [use Boot Repair CD] or if you feeling like RAMBO [Here is the full UEFI Ubuntu Booting tutorial, This might be helpful skill to know in long run, when we move to Windows 8+ machines]

Drivers Issues
    Mouse and Touchpad
    11.10:
    If you installed 11.10, your mouse is probably detected as a PS2 Generic Mouse. Synclient will show that your drivers are not loaded. Didn't find a fix for it, but here is the thread. The workaround is to install kernel 3.2 and configure your conf.d/
    12.04:
    If you upgraded from 11.10, you might encounter same issues as 11.10. On a clean install however, your mouse multitouch will work. Here is how to properly configure synclient and here are few tips and this helped a lot, Here you can find what all the synclient options mean.

Graphics Card
    Switchable Graphics
    Our laptop has switchable graphics that aren't quite optimized yet, Read more about it here. These guys report 3.3 kernel has full hybird graphics functionality. Here is a thread that gives more information.
    Drivers
    Both 11.10 and 12.04 default drivers work just fine, if you install the ati drivers provided by ubuntu's "additional drivers" program, you probably will end up with no Compiz/GPU. The drivers from the ati website don't work. X will fail to start. just turn off the switchable graphics options previously mentioned with default drivers and you should be fine. In 12.04 you can use Catalyst drivers here's how.

Power Consumption/FAN and Noises
    This I got from this post credits to zackrspv and mas
    Power:
    I tried passing parameters on boot-up (e.g. pcie_aspm=force), but did not help. Utilized powertop, plus juniper as well but could never get power below 28W consumption. Without the tweaks I get around 33W. Getting battery life around 2.5 hours whereas I'm getting 5.5 to 6 hours in Windows 7.
    There's a work around on 12.04 that can get you 5 hrs of battery life by using Ati drivers http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=17, suggested by miatawnt2b.
    Last edited by kmas; March 20th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Samsung Series 7 Chronos Ubuntu Install

The machine has a SSD and a regular harddisk? If so, wich does the BIOS use to boot?

Beans

Oki it looks like it uses the 1TB HDD not the 8GB SSD. at boot when you press escape it doesn't even show any of the SSD. the only bootable hard drive is Samsung-hn-mb101MBB. from a quick google search looks like the 1 TB HDD

Beans

I tried to follow the steps to restore GRUB2 on the USB BOOTABLE DRIVE

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-setup -d /media/982ce4d5-c8fe-439e-ab77-afc89b20e91a/boot/grub /dev/sda1
    grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the MBR.  This is a BAD idea..
    grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-setup -d /media/982ce4d5-c8fe-439e-ab77-afc89b20e91a/boot/grub /dev/sda --force
    grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
    grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    after reboot it failed like expected GRUB restore didn't work,I then tried another step to force install grub into every partition on my hard drive. There are 2 partitions approx 100MB generated by windows, not sure which one holds the MBR. The force install returns no errors, but after reboot, I get right into windows.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo umount /dev/sda
    umount: /dev/sda: not mounted
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt
    mount: /dev/sda already mounted or /mnt busy
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls /mnt

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0d7d62f5

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1      121602   976762583+  ee  GPT
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 8012 MB, 8012390400 bytes
    256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 970 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16128 * 512 = 8257536 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x74f02dea

/dev/sdb1               1      266306  2147483647+  ee  GPT
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
         phys=(1023, 255, 63) logical=(266305, 4, 4)

Disk /dev/sdc: 32.0 GB, 31991533568 bytes
    64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 30509 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000027f6

/dev/sdc1   *           1       30509    31241200    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1 --force

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

To start GRUB the ubuntu installation changes the MBR. At one of the last questions during the installation, you are asked if the location the installer found is correct. (something../sda or so)

You could fix it this way (if that's not to daunting).
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...stalling_GRUB2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kmas View Post
    I tried to follow the steps to restore GRUB2 on the USB BOOTABLE DRIVE

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-setup -d /media/982ce4d5-c8fe-439e-ab77-afc89b20e91a/boot/grub /dev/sda1
    grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the MBR.  This is a BAD idea..
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-setup -d /media/982ce4d5-c8fe-439e-ab77-afc89b20e91a/boot/grub /dev/sda --force
    grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    after reboot it failed like expected GRUB restore didn't work,I then tried another step to force install grub into every partition on my hard drive. There are 2 partitions approx 100MB generated by windows, not sure which one holds the MBR. The force install returns no errors, but after reboot, I get right into windows.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo umount /dev/sda
    umount: /dev/sda: not mounted
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt
    mount: /dev/sda already mounted or /mnt busy
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls /mnt

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1 --force
    Never install GRUB to a partition. Always put it on the disk!

So use /dev/sda and not /dev/sda1

here:
    Code:
    sudo grub-setup -d /media/982ce4d5-c8fe-439e-ab77-afc89b20e91a/boot/grub /dev/sda
    /dev/sda /dev/sdb are disks and /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 are partitions on /dev/sda

You're mixing the 2 up when you mount too. It should be:
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sda1
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    Last edited by miegiel; March 5th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Beans

I was trying the partition because any attempts to write to the disk won't work. It gave me an error just like the error for the partition. After reading more around I think the root of my problem might be the UEFI enabled on my BIOS. disabling it, and installing Ubuntu will still not let me boot into it, it gives me a black screen.

looks like thse might be the solution. but looks like work i cant complete tonight.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/91484...-from-efi-uefi

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

I might be wrong, if you think my assumption is wrong chime in please.
    Last edited by kmas; March 5th, 2012 at 03:40 AM.

Beans

I stepped back and tried what you suggested over again. Here are the results.

Code:
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# sudo grub-setup -d /media/982ce4d5-c8fe-439e-ab77-afc89b20e91a/boot/grub /dev/sda
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# sudo grub-setup -d /media/982ce4d5-c8fe-439e-ab77-afc89b20e91a/boot/grub /dev/sda --force
    Here is the second method.

Code:
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# sudo fdisk -l

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: if you really want blocklists, use --force.
    root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda --force
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    Both Proven to be unsuccessful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Grub used to directly install to a gpt drive, but used blocklists which it does not like. Maybe they have changed it to force the use of a bios_grub partition. I have installed all the newer versions of Ubuntu thru 12.04 to a gpt drive but created the bios_grub 1MB partition first and then had no issues.

Or are you booting in UEFI mode. Is first partition efi? fdisk does not work on gpt use gdisk or parted.

You have to download gdisk from synaptic or apt-get install.
    sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
    sudo sfdisk -l -uS
    sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda

In a GPT partition map, the 31 kiB area after Master Boot Record where GRUB is usually embedded to, does not exist. When GRUB can't be embedded, its only option is to use blocklists, which are unreliable and discouraged.
    However, in the GPT setup, there is no space following the 512-byte MBR for embedding the "second stage" core.img. Thus, you must make a separate "BIOS boot partition" to hold core.img.
    BIOS Boot Partition of 1 MiB for partition alignment.

Since the BIOS Boot Partition ("bios_grub" flag set in GNU Parted) is used without a filesystem for storing GRUB 2 boot code "unknown" filesystem! may be shown in many Partition tools.

You can set bios_grub flag in gparted or with command line with gdisk or parted: In GPT fdisk (gdisk), give it a type code of EF02.
    sudo parted /dev/sda set <partition_number> bios_grub on

BIOS Boot Partitio only needs to be about 32 KiB in size, although in most cases make it 1 MiB because of partition alignment issues

Since the BIOS Boot Partition ("bios_grub" flag set in GNU Parted) is used without a filesystem for storing GRUB 2 boot code, and since the EFI System Partition (ESP) is used by EFI with a FAT-32 filesystem for storing EFI files, the two cannot be the same partition.
    If you're using EFI mode to boot, you don't need a BIOS Boot Partition, but you do need an EFI System Partition (ESP)

If a new drive, to be safe, create both of these partitions, in addition to your regular Linux partitions. But the efi partition has to be the first partition. Do not configure Linux to use either the ESP or the BIOS Boot Partition; they'll be used automatically by GRUB, if necessary.

If you're using EFI mode to boot, you don't need a BIOS Boot Partition with gpt partitions (only for BIOS), but you do need an EFI System Partition (ESP). This is entirely different; it should be a 200-300 MiB FAT32 partition that's flagged as an ESP and must be the first partition. In libparted-based tools, you'd give it a "boot" flag (which is entirely unrelated to the MBR boot/active flag, although libparted makes them look the same). In gdisk, you'd give it a type code of EF00.
    An EFI System Partition (~100 to -256MiB, FAT32) for UEFI, a BIOS Boot Partition (~1MiB, no filesystem) for BIOS, and whatever partitions you want for Linux. You must set the partition type codes correctly, but how you do this depends on the utility you use to create them. Also, you should be sure to create a GUID Partition Table (GPT) on the disk, not a Master Boot Record (MBR) partition table. In BIOS mode, Ubuntu's installer defaults to creating MBR partitions, at least on sub-2TB disks, so you may need to use another utility to do the partitioning.
    Last edited by oldfred; March 5th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Oki, sorry for late reply. I recieved a replacement unit, because other unit was defective. First thing I notice is that the fdisk gives me a different result.

Code:

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

/dev/sda1   *        2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2          206848   316876799   158334976    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3       316876800  1906708479   794915840    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4      1906708480  1953523711    23407616   27  Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda5       316878848  1906708479   794914816    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

246 heads, 40 sectors/track, 1590 cylinders, total 15649200 sectors

/dev/sdb1            2048    15646719     7822336   73  Unknown

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3889 cylinders, total 62483464 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x01a0db78

/dev/sdc1   *          63    62483463    31241700+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    Second thing that I noticed is that in the BIOS there is a place where you can enable uefi. It is disabled right now and the legacy boot option is seleceted.

the discovery of the sda partition looks like this.
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
    Model: ATA SAMSUNG HN-M101M (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1953525168s
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start        End          Size         Type      File system  Flags
     1      2048s        206847s      204800s      primary   ntfs         boot
     2      206848s      316876799s   316669952s   primary   ntfs
     3      316876800s   1906708479s  1589831680s  extended               lba
     5      316878848s   1906708479s  1589829632s  logical   ntfs
     4      1906708480s  1953523711s  46815232s    primary   ntfs         diag
    here is my sfdisk
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo sfdisk -l -uS

Disk /dev/sda: 121601 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
    Warning: extended partition does not start at a cylinder boundary.
    DOS and Linux will interpret the contents differently.
    Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot    Start       End   #sectors  Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *      2048    206847     204800   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2        206848 316876799  316669952   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3     316876800 1906708479 1589831680   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4     1906708480 1953523711   46815232  27  Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda5     316878848 1906708479 1589829632   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 974 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
    Warning: The partition table looks like it was made
      for C/H/S=*/246/40 (instead of 974/255/63).
    For this listing I'll assume that geometry.

/dev/sdb1          2048  15646719   15644672  73  Unknown
            start: (c,h,s) expected (0,51,9) found (0,32,33)
            end: (c,h,s) expected (1023,245,40) found (973,245,40)
    /dev/sdb2             0         -          0   0  Empty
    /dev/sdb3             0         -          0   0  Empty
    /dev/sdb4             0         -          0   0  Empty

Disk /dev/sdc: 30509 cylinders, 64 heads, 32 sectors/track
    Warning: The partition table looks like it was made
      for C/H/S=*/255/63 (instead of 30509/64/32).
    For this listing I'll assume that geometry.

/dev/sdc1   *        63  62483463   62483401   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sdc2             0         -          0   0  Empty
    /dev/sdc3             0         -          0   0  Empty
    /dev/sdc4             0         -          0   0  Empty
    and here i the gdisk
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.1

Partition table scan:
      MBR: MBR only
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format.

Disk /dev/sda: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): ABE50E2B-E0C9-42AF-A404-1C3D3E50B562
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 5485 sectors (2.7 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          206847   100.0 MiB   0700  Microsoft basic data
       2          206848       316876799   151.0 GiB   0700  Microsoft basic data
       4      1906708480      1953523711   22.3 GiB    2700  Windows RE
       5       316878848      1906708479   758.1 GiB   0700  Microsoft basic data
    reports no sign of gpt. that might be due to the fact that on the first unit i received i enabled this option that helps windows boot faster, and i think it is through it that my partition was altered. will attempt the install again and report back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast