Re: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

I lost my background - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1892802

Rodney

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Testing Multiple Systems on P4 with 242MB RAM ONLY

Hi everyone,

I know I've been away for quite sometime now and I'm sorry for that. I'm still busy with Real-Life issues.
    However, I connected my 2nd PC (a Test PC) and I'm using it right now. It has many systems installed on. While I'm using it, it came to my mind to do some tests and indeed, I'm trying something very interesting

That PC has 512MB of RAM which can be dropped to half (256MB).

I've seen so far many interesting stuff that I've never experienced before. Also, some tests were very much surprising and not expected at all.
    It's also nice to see your RAM is fully used (or almost fully used) and yoru PC is totally frozen to the point that you can't even move your mouse. I like to produce this

I shall post all these stuff on my Blog and will post the link over here so everyone can see what I mean. To make things even more interested, I'm typing this from Ubuntu 10.04 and ... pictures/images speak louder than 1000 words - check the attached screenshot.

Just to explain what is going on (can't wait until I finish writing my blog ), Ubuntu 10.04, despite the fact that more than 85% of RAM was used, it was running smoothly with a little bit of delay or slowness. However, if I open something extra, like F-Spot, the whole system will be frozen. More tabs will make it slow too.

I have enjoyed a lot and dazzled to know Ubuntu 10.04 on this machine was running faster and better than ... well, you'll read that on my blog and you'll be dazzled

By the way, I turned SWAP OFF just to keep things more interesting.
    I have created a prefect environment for old hardware (less than 256MB of RAM) and that was Real Hardware not Virtual.

Edit:
    More details will be provided later on the blog.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by amjjawad; December 9th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Beans

GUI for keybinding in Lubuntu

Something that L.O.S.T. readers will want to know about is obkey - Openbox Key Editor, a GUI For Lubuntu keybinding.

I've been working with it this evening. It's great to have this tool!
    Last edited by dajare; December 9th, 2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: fix title

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just wanted to let Lubuntu users know of an issue when using Simple Scan. I just couldn't get it to detect my HP F2280 scanner although the print function on the same printer/scanner was fine.

For some reason Lubuntu 11.10 doesn’t install all of the packages needed for Simple Scan to detect a scanner. Make sure ‘libsane-hpaio’ or similar is installed and this will usually also install 'sane-utils' and 'hplip' as well - these three were missing by default. Then, the scanner should be recognised.

I worked this out by typing libsane into Mint 11 Synaptic and finding some of the packages that were missing in Lubuntu 11.10. Mint 11 (on this same machine, on another hard drive) recognised my printer/scanner no problems as did Ubuntu Unity. Not sure why Lubuntu didn't install these packages by default...
    The difference between wisdom and foolishness? Wisdom knows how foolish it is.

Beans

Good afternoon,

I've been using Lubuntu on my Asus EEE 901 for a couple of weeks now and there are some glitches.

A) Fn+F7 mutes the sound but does not unmute afterwards (the icon also stays like muted).

B) Pressing the Turn-On button doesn't bring the "Reboot?Hibernate?Shut Down" menu, although I've set it to act this way in Preferences>Keyboard.

C) The special function keys (silver coloured ones) do not work.

D) Sometimes the system crashes, I get a black screen with lines of code. This happens in random moments, I cannot find a coincident point. The solutions is to turn it off by pressing the power button long enough.

I'm new to Linux and troubleshooting it, so I'll appreciate your patience and any sort of tips. I installed it using "universal usb installer" and I'm not sure if the mute/unmute problem as always been present but the other have. I've reinstalled Lubuntu and the problem persisted. The mute/unmute problem does not happen if Î run Lubuntu from a usb drive ("live version", I believe).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post11530946

Beans

well for me turns out that lubuntu and ubuntu is unusable and its more about shine than fixing bugs which are show stoppers

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1862806

since 2 months no working claws-mail

no response to bug reports nothing... and mail is an absolute basic everyday need...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DustofDust View Post
    well for me turns out that lubuntu and ubuntu is unusable and its more about shine than fixing bugs which are show stoppers

no response to bug reports nothing... and mail is an absolute basic everyday need...
    Hello there

Life has taught me that there is NOTHING prefect, period. Same applies to The Computer World. No, this is not a 101 lecture but this is a simple fact that everyone should be aware of

Now, allow me to inform you about another basic thing. Installing LXDE Desktop on Ubuntu is NOT like installing Lubuntu from the LiveCD or LiveUSB.

I've seen your thread just a moment ago and I'm sorry that no one has replied you. To be honest (please don't get me wrong), if I were you, I would never wait all that time just to see any progress over something like that.
    On your thread, you have not posted any progress from YOUR SIDE so why don't expect much from others

Again, if I were you, I would do many other things rather than waiting and reporting bugs:

1- Google the issue.
    2- Try to solve/fix it myself.
    3- If above failed then I start a new thread here.

Talking about every day basic stuff, above are the basics in my humble opinion

I'll post some suggestions on your thread.

Thank you!

P.S.
    Do not give up yet

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DustofDust View Post

Your post is a mix of different problems and not much background information (as in a hardware description, for example). Keep your focus and try to make it easy for people to help you.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

How To Write an Informative and Detailed Thread

NOTE: Please note that The Developers don't actually look at forums but instead, they look at Launchpad Reports and Mailing List. In case you want to start a new thread to drag the developers attention, this is NOT the right way.

Hi,

I don't know why I didn't think about this before (write this short guide and include it in Lubuntu One Stop Thread) but day after day, I see the same requests from people who are willing to help and support (would you please mention more details about your issue?) while from the users side, those who seek help and support, they still on the wrong page. To make this as simple as possible and as clear as possible, all what you need to is these steps.

I'm sure this has been explained later but as always, I like to do it my way with Lubuntu Style

NOTE THAT: Please, DO NOT start a new thread UNLESS you do some google OR www.googlubuntu.com search. If you think your problem is unique OR you will not find any related information, then there is only one way to find out which is a simple google search that will save a lot from your time as you don't have to wait for anyone to jump in and help

Steps:

1- Make sure to choose the correct sub-forum for your thread. There are many sub-forums on Ubuntu Forum. Please have a look her: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

2- Make sure to choose the correct "Prefix" for your Thread. I've seen MANY threads starting with Lubuntu Prefix while these threads have nothing to do with Lubuntu itself.

3- The Title of your thread is VERY important. Don't write your Life's story but also don't use just one or two words. Be informative as much as you can.

4- Please keep in mind that those who are willing to help and support you are not sitting in front of your monitor/screen. The less details your provide, the less help you get. After all, it's a waste of time if your thread has less needed information.

5- IMHO, there is a list of important details that one should include in his/her thread:

a- What Release of Lubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu is he/she using?

Code:
    lsb_release -a
    b- What kind of installation? normal? virtual? wubi (for Ubuntu)?

c- What media he/she has used? Live CD? Live USB?

d- What iso he/she has downloaded (name of the iso)?
    Which architecture (32-bit or 64-bit)?

e- MD5SUM checking? this must be the first step after installing the iso file and before burning the Live CD or Creating the Live USB.
    See also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

f- What application he/she has used to create the Live CD or Live USB?

Recommendations:
    Please make sure to burn the image (iso file) at the minimum speed - I suggest 8x. K3b is my favorite but YMMV.

In case of Live USB, UNetbootin is highly recommended.

g- Probably, this should be the first information on a new thread. Hardware Details/Specifications of the machine.

Code:
    sudo lshw
    This will give you all the details you may need.

h- What Kernel?

Code:
    uname -r
    Tip:

It's highly recommended to do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    right after you are done with the installation.

i- In case of potential bug, make sure you can re-produce that. Don't assume it's a bug just like that. Sometimes, some issues can be solved easily.

j- Details, details and details are very important. Also, please make sure to mention the steps you followed to fix the issue.

k- Finally, PLEASE make sure to follow these simple and basic steps when posting:

1- Please, make sure to use "CODE" tags when posting any output from Terminal:

2- If you want to include a screenshot which is hosted on one of the free websites (like tinypic.com), you can do that easily:

3- Want to include your screenshot as an attachment:

4- Help others by marking your thread as SOLVED in case your issue is fixed. Remember, you can always set it as UNSOLVED in case you need to add more Qs.

Hope this will be helpful. Enjoy
    Last edited by amjjawad; December 16th, 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Updating ...

Beans

Here's my Lubuntu 1011.410 desktop. (Lu 11.10 with Lu 10.10 wallpaper and Lu 11.04 default theme with Lu 11.10 widget.)

...sorry folks...I'm just bored.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast