Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GT 430 no sound via HDMI

Beans

Re: Nvidia GT 430 no sound via HDMI

Still not 100%

Is anyone else having the issue where upon start-up the sound sometimes works, sometimes not.

I'd guess it seems to work around 50% of the time.

As I'm trying to auto-boot into XBMC to get WAF approval, obviously this is not ideal!

Cheers in advance for anyone in the same boat who has some suggestions

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kinmad View Post
    Still not 100%

Is anyone else having the issue where upon start-up the sound sometimes works, sometimes not.

I'd guess it seems to work around 50% of the time.

As I'm trying to auto-boot into XBMC to get WAF approval, obviously this is not ideal!

Cheers in advance for anyone in the same boat who has some suggestions
    Make sure you do post #3 and #5. Was searching hi and low for a solution and that did the trick. This fix cleans up the distortion AND adds sound over HDMI.

Beans

I followed post #3 & #5 and got sound over HDMI , but it is only stereo and not 5.1, any idea how I can get LPCM over HDMI with GT 430

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

What profile is selected in 'Sound Preferences'?

Beans

I have disabled my MotherBoard's onboard sound card and now I have only one item under Hardware > Choose a device to configure > Hdmi (can not remember exact wording as I am not in front of Ubuntu machine)
    at the bottom this screen in the profile dropdown there are only 2 option Off and Digital Stereo

HDMI output is going to an ONKYO Reciever (HDMI 1.1) which is connected to Samsung plasma (HDMI 1.3)
    Last edited by aps_brar; May 24th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Use the alsa-info-script to provide detailed information.
    Run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    Choose the upload option and provide a link for the output.
    [Terminal="Applications-> Accessories-> Terminal"]

Beans

I was able to get sound out of my TV doing the aplay test, but I do not have a /etc/pulse/default.pa file or a /etc/asound.conf. I created these files manually, but I am still unable to get sound out using any application other than aplay. This particular box is running Mythbuntu 11.04 with a NVidia GT 430. I only performed step 5 here in addition to unmuting the spdif channels in alsamixer, as I was able to get sound without doing step 3.

Here is the alsa info script if it helps:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=10...8507040cc02892

Ultimately I want to get 5.1 out of this card with Mythtv, but the TV I am testing with only has 2 built-in speakers. Your suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by alldunn; September 29th, 2011 at 02:34 AM.

Beans

YESSSHH!!

Thank you guys so much!! My gal Friday's Win 7 install got a virus so she asked me to put ubuntu on it for her. I've been kinda bitter about how Ubuntu keeps changing everything from one install to the next, so I'm sticking with 10.04 LTS for the time being.

This office computer is a "crappy old Dell" C521 3 GHz Athlon X2 with lots of RAM, a nVidia GT430 video card, and a Gateway 23" HDMI monitor.

I tried my usual trick of ubuntu 10.04 minimal then add stuff, but it wouldn't find and load video drivers. So I got the 10.04.3 Desktop x64 ISO and things started looking up!

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    As far as alsa modules, with the patch that enables hdmi sense, this installs with a minimum of fuss. Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Add the ubuntu-audio-dev ppa:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    Now install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)
    Reboot
    Check your levels in alsamixer.
    Code:
     alsamixer
    Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
    Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
    Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.
    Go to "System ->Preferences ->Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default and adjust your profile on the hardware tab.
    On the output tab choose the correct device.
    The bit about pressing M is crucial. You must unmute the 2nd through 4th audio instances.

But still no "sound"...

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    Your sound devices should have shown up in aplay -l in Maverick (but probably not Lucid) if you had most recent kernel updates. The audio ppa may make your startup sounds not work when you do update your kernel. Although, sounds should still work after X starts.

Now you just need to unmute the S/PDIF devices for HDA NVidia in alsamixer by pressing m for any that show MM so they end up as 00, figure out which one works, and add a line to a file. Try the following and substitute 1,3 with 1,7 1,8 or 1,9 until you find which works:

Code:
    aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
    Mine is 1,9 so I added a line to /etc/pulse/default.pa after alsa-sink line:

Code:
    #load-module module-alsa-sink
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,9
    Reboot. The only odd thing it that in the Output tab of Sound Preferences you will need to select the HDA NVidia device that does NOT say HDMI to get HDMI sound. The speaker test in Sound Preferences will not work, but if you play Rythmbox, etc. you should be able to switch sound output on the fly.
    I did all this and now it's perfect.

Thank you guys SO MUCH!!
    Chris
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans

OH no... I let ubuntu update, which loaded a new kernel...

As expected, it broke the video and audio, so I ran the NVIDIA driver installer and then came here to repeat these steps:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)
    [sudo] password : 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-36-generic
    Would someone please confirm that this is a matter of the alsa driver module making people just needing to keep up with the kernels?? And maybe soon there will be a package for me? I tried booting back to the previous kernel in grub (2.6.32-33-generic), but it totally broke X.

This computer cannot live long without sound... I'll check in again on Monday and if no replies or thoughts added, I'll start a new thread that isn't SOLVED.

Thanks,
    Chris

PS - Lesson? If you can read this, go into the Update Manager and turn off automatic updates unless you're ok with booting to low graphics mode and no audio one day.
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Nvidia GT 430 no sound via HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by cacycleworks View Post
    OH no... I let ubuntu update, which loaded a new kernel...

PS - Lesson? If you can read this, go into the Update Manager and turn off automatic updates unless you're ok with booting to low graphics mode and no audio one day.
    Hi

This topic will help You for nv driver kernel update problems.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=835573

Regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast