Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by kopophex View Post
    Thanks for the patch.

It worked for my 8,2 also (running oneiric alpha), but with the same issue. Also, I lose control of LCD brightness.

But battery life seems to be more than doubled. A worthwhile tradeoff.

edit:
    A crude work around for the lack of backlight control is to boot into osx, crank the brightness, then reboot. The brightness will stay cranked.
    Has anyone booting via the EFI/grub2 route using using the Intel gfx only (via outb commands) have external monitors working?

xrandr shows the monitor is connected and detects the resolutions, but does not drive the display. It seems like when I enable the external monitor (DP1) it's display is being sent to the LCD (LVDS1). Below is my xrandr output:

Code:
    $ xrandr 
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 8192 x 8192
    LVDS1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
       1680x1050      59.9*+
       1400x1050      60.0  
       1280x1024      60.0  
       1280x960       60.0  
       1024x768       60.0  
       800x600        60.3     56.2  
       640x480        59.9  
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
       2560x1440      60.0 +
       1280x720       59.9

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fooblahblah View Post
    Has anyone booting via the EFI/grub2 route using using the Intel gfx only (via outb commands) have external monitors working?
    No, I have the same problem as you: external monitor is recognized but no output is displayed/received by the monitor.

I've looked a bit around if there was any known/related xorg-intel driver issue for this but couldn't find anything so far.

This is the only blocking issue (besides waiting for a bcm4331 driver, but I can work around that with a wifi dongle) preventing me to use EFI booting as primary/only solution.

If you find a solution or even only just some additional info, please keep us posted!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

any wifi dongle's you find work better/worse in linux?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inphektion View Post
    So there really is no solution to the wireless yet? Even with natty if i get myself a nice new 17" sandy bridge mac I have no wifi.....
    that stinks...
    A nice progress has been made in b43 and bcma thanks to dwmw2. I think we should be something working in less than a month. Right now I need a little break after rush done before merge window for 3.1.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been battling to get the Intel card working on my MBP8,2 with EFI.

I'm running a vanilla kernel 3.0 on Gentoo, with only the i915 LVDS patch and the backlight patch. The machine boots, X starts and everything looks fine, except the display is always black.

Is there any chance that the values for my machine are different? Is there a way I can verify them in OS X?
    Last edited by andybotting; July 28th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andybotting View Post

I'm running a vanilla kernel 3.0 on Gentoo, with only the i915 LVDS patch and the backlight patch. The machine boots, X starts and everything looks fine, except the display is always black.

Is there any chance that the values for my machine are different? Is there a way I can verify them in OS X?
    The "magic" gmux hex values (eg 0x750) can be found in the log under MacOS X by enabling trace on the gmux driver :
    Add "agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295" to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

metatech

Beans

Can you post your grub.cfg? I also have a MBP8,2 and it's working under i915 (with Radeon off - actually I can't get radeon to work under EFI )

Beans
    Hidden!

Can you post your grub.cfg? I also have a MBP8,2 and it's working under i915 (with Radeon off - actually I can't get radeon to work under EFI )
    I haven't been able to get my Radeon to work either.

I've tried a lot of different things in grub.conf, but I've just tried the one you posted and it also fails.

I've got the debugging for AGC done in Mac, and I've uploaded the result to pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/Qgdkm6bZ

I've been testing with the nice tray icon app, gfxCardStatus to switch between the radeon and intel in Mac.

Beans
    Hidden!

actually I can't get radeon to work under EFI )
    I found this Radeon KMS on Macs with EFI boot bug and an attached patch. Maybe this will do the trick?

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26891

Beans

Hello,

The magic numbers of the gmux looks the same (mainly 0x750). Anyway, they have been the same since the first dual-graphics laptops in 2009 (except brightness), so this is most probably not the cause of the problem.

Probably something else is different on your machine.
    What is your configuration :
    - Do you have 4 GB or 8 GB of RAM ?
    - Do you use an external monitor ? Is one connected ?
    - Anything else "unusual" ?

Check also if you have relevant errors in /var/log/* (mainly kern.log and xorg.log)

At which step of the boot process exactly becomes the screen black ? After Xorg initialization ? Do your physical consoles work (ie Ctrl-Alt-F1) ?

Thanks.

Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast