Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: usb Webcam as a default audio input device?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

usb Webcam as a default audio input device?

Hi,
    I'm having here annoying "problem" with my webcamera. Everytime I want to use it as a microphone it needs to be switched manually in sound settings menu. It's not a big deal but I would really rather let it be switched automatically like plug and play or something like that. Any ideas how to do it, where to do it? thanks

ubuntu 10.10
    Intel ICH6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: usb Webcam as a default audio input device?

I would love to hear if there is a way to set an external input device as the default. I use a webcam/microphone, (logitech 9000 pro) and always have to select it after it is plugged in (won't use it automagically even when plugged in before power on). Would love to have the system recognize it as the default. Have a friend who would like the same functionality with his bluetooth headset.

Please, anyone know how this can be accpmplished?

Beans
    Distro

I have just the same problem. USB webcam's microphone selected as input in "Sound preferences" becomes inactive after reboot and motherboard's analog input becomes active. That causes problems each time I use Skype after reboot.

Beans

First go to audio settings and select you webcam microphone as the input device. Then:

# pacmd
    >>> dump

will give you the configuration of your pulseaudio daemon. One of the last lines will be something like this:

set-default-source alsa_input.usb-046d_0809_CCE11299-02-U0x46d0x809.analog-mono

Add that line to the end of your /etc/pulse/default.pa file

This seems to work for me, but note that pulseaudio will lose the USB webcam mic every time the USB connection shuts down. So, eg, if your webcam is plugged into the USB hub on your monitor and the monitor goes to sleep, disconnecting the webcam, pulseaudio will switch to the internal audio input. Don't know how to fix that. There's a bug report in launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...io/+bug/640328

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rzach View Post
    First go to audio settings and select you webcam microphone as the input device. Then:

# pacmd
    >>> dump

will give you the configuration of your pulseaudio daemon. One of the last lines will be something like this:

set-default-source alsa_input.usb-046d_0809_CCE11299-02-U0x46d0x809.analog-mono

Add that line to the end of your /etc/pulse/default.pa file

This seems to work for me, but note that pulseaudio will lose the USB webcam mic every time the USB connection shuts down. So, eg, if your webcam is plugged into the USB hub on your monitor and the monitor goes to sleep, disconnecting the webcam, pulseaudio will switch to the internal audio input. Don't know how to fix that. There's a bug report in launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...io/+bug/640328
    Thank you a lot. Really helpful.

Beans
    Distro

rzach thanks a lot, I'll give it a try

Beans

Thanks a lot for the tip, I made a script called by udev when my QuickCam get plugged to switch the input-source in pulse-audio. It is ugly, but works for now.

So I created /etc/udev/rules.d/97-QuickCam_E2500.rules
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTR{idVendor}=="046d", ATTR{idProduct}=="089d", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/QuickCam_E2500_hotplug.sh"
    Then /usr/local/bin/QuickCam_E2500_hotplug.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    delegate=`dirname $0`/QuickCam_E2500_hotplug_delegate.sh

$delegate &
    Since I could'nt find how to get called after pulseaudio was updated, I had to create the following delegate that tries every second for 5 seconds. So the file /usr/local/bin/QuickCam_E2500_hotplug_delegate.sh contains:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #Configure this as your home directory
    export HOME=/home/#Your username
    #Configure this as your username. If you have multiple user on your computer, you'll have to adapt this script.
    pulseaudio_user=#Your username
    #Those are the vendor and product id of your usb device, as found in:
    # udevadm info --attribute-walk --path=/sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:1d.1/usb3/3-1/input/input12/
    # look at the output of dmesg to find the right path. Those numbers are also found directly in dmesg:
    # ...
    # gspca: probing 046d:089d
    # ...
    # and in the pulse audio card name eg: usb-046d_089d-01-U0x46d0x89d. In fact we only match the pulseaudio
    # card name. 
    idvendor="046d"
    idproduct="089d"

# poll pulseaudio for the newly plugged card.
    counter=0
    while [ $counter -lt 5 ] ; do
      srcname=`sudo -u $pulseaudio_user pacmd dump | grep "set-card-profile.*$idvendor.*$idproduct.*input" | sed -ne 's/.*\.\([^ ]*\) input:\(.*\)/alsa_input.\1.\2/p'`
      if [ ! -e $srcname ] ; then
        break
      fi
      sleep 1
      let counter=counter+1
    done

# Set it as the default source.
    if [ ! -e $srcname ] ; then
      sudo -u $pulseaudio_user pacmd set-default-source $srcname
    fi
    Last edited by kbenoit; February 15th, 2011 at 04:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I have tried rzach way but it didn't worked for me whereas kbenoit scripts are working very well , thank you so much
    Last edited by mondeoscotch; March 5th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Beans

thanks! this worked for me too. With the proviso that the scripts have to be set executable.

There are a few ways to find out the vendor id and product id which you need to change in the udev rule and the delegate script.

Code:
    $ pactl list
    gives all the information you need, with labels

Code:
    $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:0805 Logitech, Inc.
    doesn't fill your screen as much. Here 046d is the vendor id and 0805 is the product id

Code:
    pacmd dump | grep usb
    gives more information again. The vendor and product ids come directly after usb- and in that order

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have found a way around this problem.
    Go to Sound settings and select "Hardware" tab. Highlight Internal Audio. Then in the Profile field select "Analogue Stereo Output". You should then find in the "Input" tab there is only the webcam to chose from. So it will be selected every time.
    If you use any other microphones this is not a solution for you.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast