Did anyone posted this bug on Launchpad?
Workaround is good (I still didn't try any of them here), but we need a fix.
Why?? Well from what I understand Myth uses a MySQL database. I don't know how why, as I don't use myth myself, but from other threads that seems to be the implication!
So if it is using a MySQL DB somewhere then it may need to connect to itself using the IP address (as oposed to 'localhost' or a 'host_name') this can be set within the MySQL config file for connecting to the databse, or maybe somewhere within the myth config itself??
As I say above, I don't use myth myself, but this could be a possible explanation for what you are seeing, I agree however that it does seem a bit "odd"
I just tried this work around but to no avail. I removed Network Manager, restarting, editing /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf .
When I ran the last step:
It hangs. I get the following output:Quote:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
From this point, the terminal hangs and the cursor blinks. I can't start my network connection nor will it start on reboot. Is there anyway to restore the network manager without having a working connection? Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!Quote:
*Reconfiguring network interfaces..... [OK]
@media-server810:~$ *Stopping NTP server ntpd
* Starting NTP server ntpd
UPDATE: Found a work around. I stopped the hung command in the terminal then ran this:
Rebooted and everything was back to the original settings. I think I'll try some of the other methods floating around at there.Quote:
sudo update-rc.d -f NetworkManager defaults
What if I want eth1 to use DHCP (it is my internet connection) and eth0 to use static IP for local network?
This may not be very much help to anyone, but you never know.
I had the problem where I was unable to get the static address to "stick". I tried modifying the original, then creating a new one named "StaticIP", then deleting the original, changing all the checkmarks for "system" and "automatically connect", but nothing worked. The system would recreate the deleted entry, and use it.
Then I started reading some threads, and making changes. I now have a single entry "StaticIP" that is consistent, without removing the network manager.
The only real change, I think, was to get rid of "dhclient". I did
ps -e | grep dhclient to get its process ID, then killed it.
Now, I did a lot of other things, mostly that didn't seem to work, but I'm not sure if any of them were needed for the end result (things like editing various config files, then restoring them in the end, running commands like "sudo ifup --force staticIP", which seemed to do nothing, etc).
One thing that happened was that after a reboot, I had no networking at all. I created a new entry, but it was disabled, saying "Device is disabled". Trying to enable it in nm-system-settings.conf gave an error. I tried running dhclient, which may have helped in the end. Finally, I tried setting the new entry "StaticIP" to use DHCP for the IP, and rebooted. It came up working, using my original entry named "StaticIP", but had a duplicate "StaticIP" that was set to the DHCP I had just configured. But it was using my original "StaticIP", so I deleted the 2nd one, and rebooted. It still only has the one static IP entry.
Yes, I realize this is overly complex, mainly because I'm not sure exactly what happened, and can't redo it because it's working now. But, maybe someone with a clue will be able to use some of this information to augment the known facts.
Let me know if anyone has questions about any of my configuration files.