Manjaro 0.8.2 Released! With Steam Support!
Manjaro Linux is my current laptop OS, and I wanted to share their latest release!
Manjaro Linux is a Linux Distribution based on well tested snapshots of the Arch Linux
repositories and will be 100% compatible with Arch. We manage our repository with our own developed tool called BoxIt which is designed like git.
Our aim is to create a light Linux distribution which is simple, Up to date, Fast, User friendly and which follows the K.I.S.S
principle. We are using the Xfce Desktop Environment, Which is lightweight but powerful. Arch Linux is a great GNU Linux distribution, but installation and configuration requires time and experience.
This means for our users, They still have a rolling release but not so fast as Arch-Linux might be. AUR is still usable and you have all features you know from Arch Linux. This way we provide a stable system which is still up to date.
Manjaro Linux provides a more user friendly installation process, Bash scripts for managing graphic drivers, Pre-configured Xfce with some useful extras and a GUI Settings Manager is also under development. But if the Xfce desktop environment is not what you prefer, We are pleased to announce that we have also begun development of both KDE and GNOME versions of Manjaro Linux. Once complete, We will have a full suite of Manjaro Linux versions available to suit all types of Linux users. http://blog.manjaro.org/wp-includes/.../icon_wink.gif
Another feature will be our hardware detection. A well known problem is libgl and it’s conflicts with catalyst and nvidia packages. We packed libgl and all proprietary drivers in a different way and manage with mhwd to symlink to the right needed so files. This enables us to support hybrid cards like Nvidia’s optimus system in a simple way. Mhwd can also install all drivers using a database and multiple kernel versions to your system.
To pack this all up we provide live-cds in 3 different flavours:
- XFCE will be our main desktop released as a CD-Edition to build your desktop on
- Cinnamon / Gnome is shipped as a DVD-Edition with common used applications
- last but not least we have also a KDE DVD-Edition featuring all from K3B to Calligra
The culmination of substantial refinements and exciting new developments, Manjaro 0.8.2
is the most polished, feature-rich, and accessible release yet. Just a few of the new features provided includes support for Steam gaming, automatic desktop notifications for new system updates, and – developed exclusively for Manjaro – a user-friendly graphical interface to easily manage and maintain the system. Experienced users can also take advantage of support for new features, including the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI), B-Tree File System (btrfs), and Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) storage system.
A more detailed overview of the improvements in the 0.8.2 release is as follows:
- The default kernel series has been changed to 3.4-longterm for better upstream support
- Steam gaming is now supported (beta)
- Gnome Package Kit has been replaced with the Kalu upgrade notifier, and – exclusively for Manjaro – a user-friendly interface for pacman (the pacman-gui)
- A new Brazilian server is online (thanks, Holmes)
- Each flavour of Manjaro comes with an installation guide for beginners
- The CLI installer has been enhanced with additional language support, optional network configuration, hard disk encryption, and several bug fixes
- A 'Testing Installer' option has been added with support for new advanced features including btrfs, nilfs, luks, lvn, gpt, efi, and software-raid
- Plymouth – and its related bugs – have been removed
- Numerous bug fixes have been made, including the Resume/hibernate bugs affecting laptops (XFCE desktop)
Further information about Manjaro 0.8.2 developments can be found in our changelog
. Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Manjaro 0.8.2 are also available in the following flavours (i.e. with the following desktop environments pre-installed):
- XFCE 4.10
- KDE 4.9.2
- Gnome 3.4.2
- Cinnamon 1.6.4
Openbox and Razor-QT are also available for installation from the Official Manjaro repositories. A minimalist Net-Edition is also available without a pre-installed display manager, desktop environment, or software applications in order to build your own Manjaro system from the ground up.
Manjaro 0.8.2 is a testament to the incredible dedication, enthusiasm, and skills of every member of the Manjaro Team. It has been a real pleasure to have become a recent addition to such a fantastic team behind such a fantastic distribution. On behalf of the entire Manjaro Team themselves, it is also a genuine pleasure to be part of such an amazing and supportive community.
Community, Wiki and Documentation