Another manufacturer's 30G might draw more or might draw less. I'm saying that you should always check.
One drive rated at 200ma might draw 150ma. Another one rated at 200ma might draw 700ma (it's failing, probably, but your motherboard could still fry).
The way to know if it's safe is to check. Az's Charles-Manson-meets-Homer-Simpson Let-'Er-RIP approach to electronics work will work about 80% of the time. The other 20%, you'll need to hire someone like him to recover your data after the fire.
A digital multimeter is a must-have if you do any electronics work at all. They're cheap and make the coolest desktop geek toy.
For that 500G drive, I'd *at least* make sure that the label rates the drive at 500ma or less, and remember that the USB standard is a *total* current draw for that bus (mouse, keyboard, Nerf Missile Launcher, and 500G drive). Each USB port on the back of a PC or laptop is a separate bus. Usually.
You're doing the hardware equivalent of recommending malicious commands. Malicious commands rarely destroy physical property, so maybe this is worse.
I understand that it's out of ignorance and not malicious intent, but you should at least warn people that you rely on luck, instead of knowledge, so that they can make informed decisions v deformed incisions.
"A number of USB devices require more power than is permitted by the specifications for a single port. This is common for external hard and optical disc drives, and generally for devices with motors or lamps. Such devices can be used with an external power supply of adequate rating, which is allowed by the standard, or by means of a dual-input USB cable, one input of which is used for power and data transfer, the other solely for power, which makes the device a non-standard USB device. Some external hubs may, in practice, supply more power to USB devices than required by the specification but a standard-compliant device may not depend on this.
USB 2.0 standard-A connectors are rated at 1500 mA by default."
RealG187, I will not feed the troll any longer. These enclosures are made to be used with any 2.5 inch sata drive. I have put hundreds of drives into hundreds of enclosures without any incident. I don't know of any hardware vendor that sells these things who recommends using a Voltmeter either. Don't worry.
Closed for staff review