Asus T91 linux installation

Printable View

Show 75 post(s) from this thread on one page
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
  • December 29th, 2009
    DrPotoroo
    Re: Asus T91 linux installation
    After a bit of fiddling I was able to upgrade to kernel 2.6.31-16 without starting from a clean install. I updated with the update tool, then tried to repeat the steps described earlier in this thread for installing the poulsbo driver before rebooting. That failed, but after removing the package psb-kernel-source it worked.

I still get crashes after waking from sleep. Also, for future kernel updates to not cripple me so much before I can redo the graphics driver, does anyone know how to enable the grub menu? I kew how to do it in other linux distros but can't seem to with UNR.
  • December 29th, 2009
    jamespcole
    For those of you having trouble using your microphone in skype I have written up a quick blog post about getting it working.

http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...on-ubuntu.html

I had tried some other solutions first(upgraded alsa to 1.0.21) so without doing a fresh install I can't guarantee this will work for you(although I am pretty sure it will). If it doesn't work for you please let me know and i will revise my post.
  • December 30th, 2009
    kgingeri
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    After a bit of fiddling I was able to upgrade to kernel 2.6.31-16 without starting from a clean install. I updated with the update tool, then tried to repeat the steps described earlier in this thread for installing the poulsbo driver before rebooting. That failed, but after removing the package psb-kernel-source it worked.

I still get crashes after waking from sleep. Also, for future kernel updates to not cripple me so much before I can redo the graphics driver, does anyone know how to enable the grub menu? I kew how to do it in other linux distros but can't seem to with UNR.

Hi DrPotoroo,

To change Grub, edit /etc/default/grub, with your favorite text editor to be what you want, then run 'update-grub'. It will find all kernels you have active and rewrite /boot/grub/grub.cfg which is now the grub param file used at boot time.
  • December 30th, 2009
    kgingeri
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespcole View Post
    For those of you having trouble using your microphone in skype I have written up a quick blog post about getting it working.

http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...on-ubuntu.html

I had tried some other solutions first(upgraded alsa to 1.0.21) so without doing a fresh install I can't guarantee this will work for you(although I am pretty sure it will). If it doesn't work for you please let me know and i will revise my post.

Hi James, I had no luck with that (I posted on your blog also). I found that pavucontrol was not installed (UNR 2.6.31-17) but it didn't offer me anthing different then right-clicking the volume applet icon and going to preferences. It also seems my output volume is now very faint - no matter what the settings. Not sure if I need another reboot or what. :/
  • December 30th, 2009
    jamespcole
    Hi kgingeri,
    just out of interest what is the output of this command for you?

cat /proc/asound/version

i get

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
    Compiled on Dec 2 2009 for kernel 2.6.31-16-generic (SMP).

so it may be that you need to upgrade alsa, this will install the latest alsa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/unstable

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

thanks to http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/ubunt...1021-from.html
    for the alsa instructions.

Sorry it wasn't working for you, as i said earlier i had been messing with the sound settings etc for a while before i got it working, thanks for the feedback, i'm considering doing another fresh install to figure out the exact steps i took. Let me know if the alsa upgrade makes any difference.
  • Show 75 post(s) from this thread on one page
    Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast