PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Dvd drive is picky...

RubenK
December 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Since the day my pc got kicked alive and woke up to the horrid world of windows, my dvd drive has been terrified of cd's. Place a dvd in the drive and it happily tells you there's a dvd in the drive. However, when you replace the dvd with a cd (with which is should have no trouble at all) it says there's nothing in there. No matter what kind of cd I try or whatever settings I fiddle around with, it denies there's a cd in the drive. Thank God I use ubuntu so I seldom need to use a cd because everything is on the internet for free. But when I do (in order to install Ubuntu in the first place without a lot of trouble) I need to get a cd drive from elsewhere, plug it in and beg it to work. Can somebody please help me find out what on earth is going on with my stupidly stubborn dvd drive? I thank you.

pietjanjaap
December 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Boot from a dvd livecd, then if it does not work then your player is broken.
Try a few original cd's.

Build your burner in a different pc, if it does not work , buy a new burner.

markbuntu
December 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
cd/dvd drives/burners are cheap these days, just get a new one. I just got one for $24 at MicroCenter, Samsung, works great right out of the box. All I had to do was install it and boot up.

RubenK
December 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Well, I have an 'old' (couple of years old) cd drive laying around. I'll see if I can get that working. I'm going to buy a laptop for college in about 6 months so until then, I'll survive with a picky dvd drive I guess. :P

RubenK
December 3rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
CD drive is installed and running fine. Too bad my dvd drive is really broken. That is, it refuses to read cd's. It was trying hard to read the gparted live-cd I have laying around here, but it just won't happen... Well I guess this one is also solved.:p