PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need assistance installing Ubuntu over WinXP

mechanicalmetal
December 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Hello!

I have been using Ubuntu Desktop for a while for my laptop for work. Unfortunitly a few work applications my job forced me to use at the last minute, I had to install Windows XP enabling me to no longer use Ubuntu. The demand for the applications I have to use for work was litterally next day, so I had no time to mess around with Dual boot. My only problem is, I know how to dual boot Ubuntu with WinXP installing Ubuntu first, but I have so many applications etc I wanted to see if anyone knows a way that I can install Ubuntu on top of my current version of Win XP without me having to ghost over my OS, install Ubuntu, then Windows XP. I am on call 24x7 so I have little to no time to play around :( I just miss linux!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much guys for taking the time to reveiw my post.

Have a great day!

mjitkop
December 2nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hi, mechanicalmetal.

Actually, I am surprised to read that you installed XP after Ubuntu was already installed. I have read that usually Windows wants to be installed first for a dual boot to work. You may have been lucky. ;)

Anyway, as far as I know, for most people including myself, dual boots are created ny installing Ubuntu after Windows has already been installed first. I have done it several times without compromising my Windows installation.

All you have to do is start the installation process with the Live CD and make sure you do not format the Windows partition that will be detected automatically by the partitioner.

Good luck. :)

mechanicalmetal
December 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hi, mechanicalmetal.

Actually, I am surprised to read that you installed XP after Ubuntu was already installed. I have read that usually Windows wants to be installed first for a dual boot to work. You may have been lucky. ;)

Anyway, as far as I know, for most people including myself, dual boots are created ny installing Ubuntu after Windows has already been installed first. I have done it several times without compromising my Windows installation.

All you have to do is start the installation process with the Live CD and make sure you do not format the Windows partition that will be detected automatically by the partitioner.

Good luck. :)

Hello!

Thank you so much for the reply. My apologies, forgot to wrote that when I installed XP, I wiped Ubuntu. I only have XP installed on HDD. With this info that I am SO SO glad to hear, I am downloading today and installing. You totally made my day!!!!! :)

Take care!