PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem in installation urgent help needed

dk_learning_linux
December 2nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
I tried to install ubuntu 8.10 with windows XP using the install inside option but it system hangs during the process after rebooting.
Then i tried the install ubuntu option appeared when i booted the CD it installed ubuntu successfull but my XP was gone.
Now i decided to install it using command line i need more help for that (step by step) because i never used linux before. Also i need my windows XP to be safe please help
:confused:

wilbbe01
December 2nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
If by gone you mean you installed over the xp installation (overwriting everything and hence losing everything), you are probably out of luck as far as recovering files goes. There are utilities available to try and recover pictures and such, but the only sure way is to back things up before performing risky operations. Installing from the command line? I assume you mean you are using the alternate disk? If ubuntu installed successfully using the option you mentioned in your second sentence, then this isn't probably going to be any different. I would log into your ubuntu installation and see if you can see any drive references in the "Places" menu relating to your windows xp install.

dk_learning_linux
December 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
No i uninstalled ubuntu and reinstalled windows XP in need both in my system. how to install it.
Whats that alternate disk?

dk_learning_linux
December 2nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Whats that alternate disk?
I am using the disk which was shipped to my home

dk_learning_linux
December 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
any how i installed ubuntu 8.04 using safe graphical mode . So now next research starts regarding internet connection