PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting with ubuntu 8.04 CD

wabbit46
December 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I have a notebook with an Intel Centrino duo processor.

This computer has been running XP but the Windows program is corrupted.

I wish to boot the machine using my ubuntu CD to extract the data but it fails to boot, reverting back to the failed version of XP

I have tried to do the the same with a desktop computer and AMD processor running Vista and it worked fine

Idefix82
December 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
You need to tall the BIOS to boot from CD. When the computer starts up you should have a couple of seconds to press a button (usually F12) to choose where to boot from.

david819
December 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
When you say "fails to boot" do you mean it makes an attempt, but something goes wrong? Or does it completely ignore your cd?

wabbit46
December 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM
It does not even make even make an attempt.

Just displays "Intel Boot Agent etc". and the message that it failed to boot. I have set the BIOS to boot from the CD.

sharks
December 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
And did u save ?

ajgreeny
December 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Is you CD a good one and how did you get it? If you burned it yourself I hope you burned an image and not just copied the iso file to CD; that will not boot. If you burn it in windows I think you need to use a third party burning program, the windows included burning application will not burn CD images, if I remember correctly. Get a copy of CDBurnerXP which is free, and as good as any paid for application, I think.

I've just realised, however, that you can't boot to windows at the moment, so you may find all this a bit academic, but I'll leave it for you to use or not, depending on your situation.