PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Taking data of a hDD when Ubuntu has god bad

unknown user
December 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
I have tried to install 8.10 and it did not work and now I can not load the desktop. (If you are thinking of any kind of upgrade, please make sure you back up your data).

I have another HDD (or can boot from the live disk), all I want is a few files from the desktop and my emails & contacts from my Thunderbird.

Does anyone konw the paths for these files so I can get them out and then re-install 8.10?

Her Ghost
December 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Your Thunderbird files should be in:

/home/username/.thunderbird (i.e. it will be hidden)

your desktop files are in:

/home/username/Desktop

unknown user
December 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for this, I will have a look at it tonight when I get back from work and get the files.
With the emails, I am hoping it will be a simple case of taking the file from the old system and putting it direct into a new system?

jimmy the saint
December 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
I would recommend backing up your entire /home/user directory. That way, your customized setting for your software will be saved as well. It saves me a lot of time when upgrading. Also, you may want to look at haveing a seperate partition as your /home. that way, you don't have to worry about transfering it every time you upgrade

Her Ghost
December 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
Yes this should be how it works. I think (not tried it yet, but need to soon - I have my thunderbird folder on a usb stick a the moment) you just dump the settings folder in your new /home/username/ folder and either 1. it just finds it, or, perhaps more likely, 2. you tell it to import.

I will post how I go on with it when I get round to doing it. Maybe tonight.

unknown user
December 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM
This sounds like it is just what I need and hopefully all emails/contacts will be there.

If I installed the new 8.10 on a new hdd and then imported my old /home/user directory, would this bring all my old settings from my old system to my new one without me having to mess about with the settings?

unknown user
December 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have found these files all OK but they are locked, how can I get into these files that are locked?

ncanna1
December 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
I have found these files all OK but they are locked, how can I get into these files that are locked?

Locked, as in you don't have permission to access? You could try to change ownership of the files to your new user.

unknown user
December 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hiya yes sorry theya re locked and say that I do not have permission. I have tried to put them on my usb but not allowed to.

Sorry how would I change the permission to my new user?

unknown user
December 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I rebooted the system and then created the second account again and then was asked for a password when I put the flash pen in, this allowed me to access the pen fine.

I have now installed a fresh copy of 8.10 and forgot about my old version and imported my emails, contacts and desktop all fine. I was surprised at how easy it was to tell you the truth.

I now just have to set up the new system the way I had my old one and all is good in the world. However, I will know for next time to take a backup of my home/(username) file just in care.