PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Ubuntu server cd issues

Maverick1712
December 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hi All

I just decided to turn my desktop into a server. It currently has ubuntu-desktop installed on it. I downloaded the ubuntu-server iso and burned it to a dvd. When inserted into my desktop, it still sees this dvd as being blank, and therefore I obviously can't boot from it to install. When I insert this same DVD into my laptop, I get a whole bunch of popups about package upgrades. I close all of these but this shows that there is contents on the disk. Also, I can search the disk through nautilus. Even once logged into my desktop environment, the disc appears empty on my desktop. Any ideas?

Note: All versions are 8.10

Cheers,
Adam

cariboo907
December 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM
Have you tried any other DVDs in the drive?

Jim

Maverick1712
December 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
Same drive I used with a live CD going from 8.04 to 8.10. Also, it can read audio CDs and DVD movies if they are inserted.

Cheers,
Adam

gpsmikey
December 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Wasn't the server ISO a CD image, not a DVD image (it was a CD for 8.04 anyway - that was what I used). You may have put it on the wrong media -- there is the full DVD, but (at least with 8.04), the server ISO was for a CD.

mikey

Maverick1712
December 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
That would not explain why my laptop reads it fine. I am going to try downloading the image on my desktop and burning it from there, see if that helps.

Cheers,
Adam

Maverick1712
December 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
download the iso to my desktop and burned it from there. The drive had a different minimum write speed, which I think may have been the issue since the system installed fine. Have other questions but will ask in the server forum. Thanks to anyone who thought about this problem.