PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A few questions, cant find the answers!

quartzcrstl
December 1st, 2008, 04:26 AM
Hello, new to Ubuntu, really confused about a few things.

I'm in the demo right now on my laptop and I've noticed I can't access ANY of my saved files, is this just in the demo? Because I do NOT want to instal ubuntu only to realize I can't access some very important Microsoft Word files.

Second, can I instal iTunes onto Ubuntu?

Third, assuming my first two questions are answered, if I were to realize I do not like Ubuntu in the future, how would I revert back to using XP?

pi.boy.travis
December 1st, 2008, 04:31 AM
If you are running from the Live CD, you can access your Windows partition. Just go to the "Places" menu in the upper left hand corner, and your drive should be there.

You can install iTunes via utility called Wine, but you will not get iPod functionality due to the fact that Wine does not support USB. There are several ways you can use your iPod, however. Check out: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

You can actually have both Windows and Ubuntu on your computer. Check out: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Hope this helps!

quartzcrstl
December 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
I mean with my first question, after Im done with the demo and I chooose to instal Ubuntu as my OS, will I keep all my files from windows? Or do I need to back them up and them load them back on after the Ubuntu instal?

And then basically I can't update my ipod unless I want to jailbreak it, and I assume since you suggested running both Windows and Ubuntu I can't go back to Windows?

sofasurfer
December 1st, 2008, 05:01 AM
I would back up my Windbag files and then install them into your Ubuntu system once you have it installed.

However, most people keep Windbag when they install Linux for the first time. Us Linux users don't encourage it but it will make you feel safe for a little while as you learn how to make Linux do stuff.

If you want to keep Windbag for a while just shrink your Windbag partition so that there is some free space on your hard drive. Then when you install Ubuntu you will be given the choice to "install on largest continuous free space". Choose this option and you should be good to go with both operating systems on your computer. And then you should be able to copy file from Windbag to Ubuntu.