PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Under 8.10 how to make windows open in last position?

gregphil
December 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
All my 'new' windows seem to open positioned in the upper left, no matter where or how they were last closed. Under Kubuntu new windows open where I last closed them (windows remember their last position)

How can I get this behavior in Ubuntu 8.10 ?

Thank You.

Victormd
December 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Do you have compiz installed? If so, you can use the "Place windows" plug-in under window Management.
I have 8.10 installed and my windows always open in the same place (and size) at which they were closed and this is all I did. There might be (and I'm sure there is) another way to do this if you don't have compiz. You might want to look in the configuration editor. From the terminal type:

gconf-editor
and see if you find anything.

gregphil
December 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
That fixed it, it was set (defaulted to) 'smart' placement which was anything but. I changed it to centered and all is well again.

Thank You.

puner
March 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM
That fixed it, it was set (defaulted to) 'smart' placement which was anything but. I changed it to centered and all is well again.

Thank You.

Thanks for that post, really helped me out.

For me it was set to "smart" as well, so I just did what you did and set it to "Centered" now everything is great.

But I wonder if there is a setting to open windows where you last closed them.

CerialPhreak
April 10th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I wouldnt call this solved. If you enable that option in compiz, all it does is force the windows to open in the same place every time, such as in the middle of the screen (centered). Im trying to get the window (specifically pidgin) to open in the same place it was when i closed it.

jshzigler
June 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
This problem is happening to me in 11.04.