PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Under 8.10 how do I 'tune' compiz like features?

gregphil
December 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM
Under Kubuntu 3.5 I can tune everything about the video interface, with Ubuntu 8.10 they seem to have locked down most options.

I know about the menu "System-Control Center- Appearance" but it only offers three setting (off, normal & extra). None of these do what I would like, and the wobbly windows enabled in 'extra' things almost unusable (windows stick to edges of everything way too hard)

I want to turn on tranparency for moving windows, disable 'snap to grid' or whatever is making the windows stick to each other and just in general have more control over the other features (plug-ins?)

Can anyone tell me how to do this under Ubuntu 8.10?

Thank You.

amauk
December 1st, 2008, 12:44 AM
install the compizconfig-settings-manager
(ccsm)

AllanPoe
December 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
Have you installed Advanced Desktop Effects Settings from Add/Remove Applications? There are a ton of options you could play with.

gregphil
December 1st, 2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I found and installed "advanced desktop settings". This got hidden in the menus as "Compiz config settings manager' but seems to offer the control I asked for.

In the mean time I also installed the "Configuration Editor" which seems to allow adjusting the settings database for ALL applications. In the Configuration editor I found settings for all Compiz features (under 'apps-compiz-plugins-****') This allows changing almost anything.

Thank You.