PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] different server software set up

007casper
December 1st, 2008, 12:07 AM
what is the difference between these? I can figure that mail server is for mx mail server but is there any information regarding these different server set ups

DNS server
LAMP server
Mail server
OpenSSH server
PostgreSQL server
Print server
Samba file server
Tomcat Java server
Virtual Machine host

I followed the instructions here...
http://howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-8.10-p2

I am not sure if I did something wrong. It seems like OpenSSH server doesnt have graphic interface. I know OpenSSH is supposed to extremely secure but how does that compare to DNS and LAMP server

thank you

halitech
December 1st, 2008, 12:14 AM
what is the difference between these? I can figure that mail server is for mx mail server but is there any information regarding these different server set ups
actually a mail server is for incoming and outgoing mail, mx actually refers to the record with a DNS server so it knows where to send email

DNS server
Dynamic Name Service (or Server) - translates domain names into IPs so the internet works

LAMP serverLinux Apache MySQL Php - the 4 basics of a webserver

Mail serverfor sending and delivering mail

OpenSSH servera protocal for connecting to a remote machine using the command line

PostgreSQL servera database server

Print servera machine that looks after all print jobs

Samba file serverused to share (serve) files over a Local Area Network

Tomcat Java servera type of webserver, not too sure on exactly the difference between it and Apache

Virtual Machine hosta way of running different Operating Systems on a single machine

I followed the instructions here...
http://howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-8.10-p2

I am not sure if I did something wrong. It seems like OpenSSH server doesnt have graphic interface. I know OpenSSH is supposed to extremely secure but how does that compare to DNS and LAMP server

thank you

SSH is command line only, if you want a GUI then you need something like VNC or RDP.

HTH

007casper
December 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM
thank you so much halitech!

I am a designer, and extremely visual. Usually I check everything I do on the terminal on the gui desktop. I know it is silly. But thats what I am used.

I would like to use the server to host myself and a few friends. I know I need to use VNC eventually. How can I get a desktop graphic interface environment?

so all the rest of these set ups are graphical except OpenSSH...
so LAMP is a more common choice for graphical interface hosting server than DNS server?

before I did a sample test on a slow computer with DNS server set up and it worked like charm... but it seems like people choose LAMP.

trying to decide on the right choice that handles gui

thank you

jamesstansell
December 1st, 2008, 06:48 AM
The Apache Tomcat server allows you to run jsp pages, java servlets, etc. It can serve webpages directly, or can serve as a backend processor for an Apache Httpd web server.

halitech
December 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM
thank you so much halitech!

I would like to use the server to host myself and a few friends. I know I need to use VNC eventually. How can I get a desktop graphic interface environment?

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopreplace ubuntu with kubuntu/xubuntu depending on which desktop you want. this will also install all the extras that go along with it so you may want to research a little more on just which apps you want/need and just install them.

so all the rest of these set ups are graphical except OpenSSH...
so LAMP is a more common choice for graphical interface hosting server than DNS server?

before I did a sample test on a slow computer with DNS server set up and it worked like charm... but it seems like people choose LAMP.

trying to decide on the right choice that handles gui

thank you

actually, other then the Virtual Machine host and VNC, they are all administered by editing config files. Some may have a GUI that you can install to administer the settings but not all (webmin comes to mind)

Not sure how you installed a DNS server to have it serve web pages but if you say so. LAMP is the most common although some servers replace Linux with BSD as it is just as secure (just not as desktop ready yet)

Each type of server is different (other then Apache and Tomcat) so if you want to serve webpages, you pick a web server, if you want to share files with windows computers on a LAN you would use SAMBA, etc.

007casper
December 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
oh man! Thank you so much! :D

I love it... you dont know how much having the desktop speed up my process.

I guess I have a bad habit of using terminal with desktop

Thank you. Thank you.

Gotta try samba ;)

hyper_ch
December 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think you are quite confused about servers and stuff.

what do you want to achieve?

007casper
December 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
hyper_ch as stated above
>>I am a designer, and extremely visual. Usually I check everything I do on >>the terminal on the gui desktop. I know it is silly. But thats what I am >>used.
>>
>>I would like to use the server to host myself and a few friends.

I am doing great. So far so good.... unless, you have suggestions.

yeah, I am too green on the server set up... I am pretty sure you can smell it a mile a way. Thats okay. Having a blast over here.

hyper_ch
December 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
so you want to operate a web-server?

007casper
December 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
yes, I want to operate a web server

hyper_ch
December 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
and you want to host multiple domains or just one?

007casper
December 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM
multiple

rev0lv3r
December 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Multiple will require the use of vhosts (virtual hosts)

I would just do the following (either find the packages in synaptic, or just do this line in terminal"

sudo apt-get install apache2 mysql5 php5

That will get apache2 (a web server), mysql5 (a sql database server) and php5 (i guess the language you use for everything... it's pretty neat)

I would also ... perhaps... suggest installing "phpmyadmin" and "webmin"

phpmyadmin allows you to administrate the mysql db using a web browser
and webmin allows you to administrate the machine through a web browser.

Good luck, you're going to have a lot of headaches, but you're also going to have a lot of fun :)

hyper_ch
December 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
In that case I'd recommend you a perfect setup iwth ISPConfig install... have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com

007casper
December 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM
hyper_ch I am already following that set up for perfect server from howtoforge

which is good for cluster servers webmin, virtualmin, ispconfig?

hyper_ch
December 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM
no clue about cluster servers...

theozzlives
December 6th, 2008, 09:09 AM
sudo apt-get install apache2

sudo apt-get install mysql

sudo apt-get install php5

007casper
December 28th, 2008, 11:21 AM
>>which is good for cluster servers webmin, virtualmin, ispconfig?

does anyone know which is the best suitable application for cluster servers?

thank you ~ have a wonderful new year!

hyper_ch
December 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
ispconfig 3 will support cluster servers... I think it's beta this far.