PDA

View Full Version : [other] linux mint-firefox crashes segmentation fault

irish66
November 30th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well one reason i decided to try Linux, was because my browser, no matter which one I used in Windows was always crashing. Unfortunately it does the same in Linux. Well at least firefox does with "segmentation fault" message.Does anybody have any ideas about that. I'm trying opera at the moment. But opera doesn't have plugins i run such as "no script" "tabs menu" "download hedlper" "down them all" and @session manager"
M

SunnyRabbiera
November 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM
well you could try a reinstall of firefox, head down to your mint menu and go to system and then administration and go to sysnaptic package manager.
in that search for firefox, remove it by clicking the box next to the installed firefox package and selecting "mark for complete removal"
after that click apply and after firefox is removed also head to your home directory, hit control-h to unhide folders and delete your mozilla profiles folder listed as .mozilla

after all is taken care of resinstall firefox, see what happens.

irish66
November 30th, 2008, 11:33 PM
writing this in opera
Thank you. I've done that, We'll see how things go.
I see that Wine Linux has an option to run in safe mode.
Maybe i should try that with linux firefox,if i get crashes again, and see if i can find out exactly what is causing crashes. It must be something I install, because I know a chap who says his firefox never crashes. So the logical conclusion is that it's one of the add ons i use.
M

SunnyRabbiera
November 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM
possibly, also try to run firefox in a terminal and see if it spits out any errors.

irish66
December 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
will do-thank you.
M

irish66
December 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
have decided to move over to opera for the moment. Firefox was crashing even without extensions.
M

Dedoimedo
December 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hello,

Option 1: run Firefox from command line and see what errors comes up.
Option 2: use strace to hook the Firefox process and follow up the execution until it crashes, then post results here.

Did you recently install any plugins, a la flash?

Dedoimedo

irish66
December 2nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
Hi, it was crashing even without any plugins.
What is strace? and what does hook the firefox process mean. By the way, I was starting firefox many times through the terminal. All i got after crash was "segmentation fault."
M

Dedoimedo
December 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Hello,

strace is a powerful tool for debugging applications (system calls). Hook process - to "catch" the process while it's running.

So, if firefox has process id (pid) of 2766, then you hook it like this:

sudo strace -f -p firefox -o strace.file

This whill trace all firefox events (including children (-f flag) and output them to a file (-o flag) and then you may try reading the output for interesting clues.

You may want to consider posting here, if you want.

More about strace, try "man strace" in terminal and in general, Google for it.

Dedoimedo