PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu Crashed, Using Windows till I can fix it

The Grey Wizard
November 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I was playing Guild Wars in wine and when I went to close the window my computer froze. I tried just waiting it out but after leaving it overnight with no response I hard reset the system. I know Xubuntu hates it when you do that, so I scanned my disk with the windows scan. When I went to log back into Xubuntu it stops at the grub command prompt and won't load Xubuntu. Any help? I'm really sick of being back on Windows and I'm eager to get back on Xubuntu. Please and thanks.

The Grey Wizard
December 2nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
Anybody even look at this thread?

cardinals_fan
December 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Could you provide any more info (error messages, etc.)?

maheshjr2000
December 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
this is a Wine complaint. Did you check the wine appdb if anyone has had an issue like this. Also Im pretty sure there is a command to restore grub off a liveCD but I cant reccommend it till I see an error message.

The Grey Wizard
December 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM
No error message, it froze, I restarted it, grub command prompt is all I got.

cardinals_fan
December 5th, 2008, 05:11 AM
No error message, it froze, I restarted it, grub command prompt is all I got.
I can't figure that out. WINE crashing should have no system-wide effects (assuming it was run as a regular user).

earthpigg
December 5th, 2008, 05:13 AM
(assuming it was run as a regular user).

;)

handydan918
December 5th, 2008, 05:33 AM
OH NO!! You mean you CAN execute a virus with
sudo wine?????????

:p

earthpigg
December 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM
ive actually gotten windows malware while playing around in wine.

i lol'd ;)

caljohnsmith
December 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Have you run an "fsck" on the Xubuntu partition yet? I would start by doing that; just boot your Live CD, open a terminal and do:

sudo fdisk -lu
Figure out which is your Xubuntu partition knowing that it is type "linux" under the "system" category. Then do:

sudo fdisk -y /dev/sdaX
And replace sdaX with the Xubuntu partition. Please post the output.

The Grey Wizard
December 6th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Damn, I'm too lazy to make a live disk :P Alright, I'll make one when I get time, the burner on this computer is broken.

newbee70
December 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Anybody even look at this thread?

Na, we are all to lazy. 8-)

The Grey Wizard
December 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM
:P Thanks.

phidia
December 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Can you boot in recovery mode from the grub menu?

inxygnuu
December 6th, 2008, 09:12 PM
when grub loads up, press escape, and try to see if you can go to the recovery console thingy. If all fails, try inserting the Xubuntu cd as a last resort.

Best regards,
3v4n;)

The Grey Wizard
December 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I tried esc, it won't load, I'll get a capture screen and show you. How do you get a capture screen in grub?

Kareeser
December 7th, 2008, 06:32 AM
How do you get a capture screen in grub?
With a digital camera and a very steady hand. ;)

inxygnuu
December 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I tried esc, it won't load, I'll get a capture screen and show you. How do you get a capture screen in grub?

can you press anything? if not, try to get more help, but if all else fails, backup you files, put in the Xubuntu CD, and look for a/the repair option, but that would be last resort.

Best regards,
3v4n