PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing package from CD

strueb
November 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Forgive a eral newbie, but I have what I think is an apt question.

There are a couple packages I'd like to install (pan for newsgroups) and rdesktop. The pan install is a tar.gz file, and the rdesktop is an rpm. Since I've downloaded them, I've copied them to CD, and I'd like to install from the CD if possible.

1. Should I use apt (aptget) to do the installs? Or some other (at this point unknown application)?

2. Whichever I should use, is there a way to point it to the cd?

3. Will the same app work with the rpm AND the tar files? Or do I need to unzip the tar file? (I suspect I do, in which case I'd rather get the files off the cd and someplace where ubuntu will recognize them. So, 3.a - where might that be?)

Sorry about the absolute dummy questions. And thank you very much in advance
:)

oldos2er
November 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Don't you have an internet connection on this box?

strueb
December 3rd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Don't you have an internet connection on this box?

Yes, I do. (finally) In that case, how do I install from the internet? (I just figured that I had the CD; I'd try to use it. I had created it before I got the wireless connection working.)

Thanks!

LowSky
December 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Go to System > Admin > software sources, check the box for CD at the bottom

LowSky
December 3rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
Yes, I do. (finally) In that case, how do I install from the internet? (I just figured that I had the CD; I'd try to use it. I had created it before I got the wireless connection working.)

Thanks!

you should be able to click install and it will grab the packages automatically, if not let us know we can fix your system

oldos2er
December 3rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
rdesktop seems to be installed by default in 8.10.

For Pan, copy and paste this command into a terminal:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install pan

strueb
December 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
rdesktop seems to be installed by default in 8.10.

For Pan, copy and paste this command into a terminal:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install pan

Ahh! Thank you all. I muchly appreciate the information! I'll give these a shot. (and I'll see about bringing up rdesktop, then, too.

:p